Building a $100,000 studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dutch Deniro

i have a couple of list but i want to know what you guys think. Take note that i plan to record vocals and also do production in the studio.

i don't know what to think, other than that's A LOT of MONEY! How long you been producing or working with audio/studio equipment? Man...I just need about a little less than 10k ta be think I'm done. But yea spit a line.

Doc.

If you indeed have that kind of budget, you need to hire a contractor experienced with builing an outfitting studios, and work with them.

Doing anything else is unbelieveably stupid.

yeah, that's what scarface did with his new home studio.

anybody else see that article in EQ mag?

100K is a lot of greenbacks!

Damn gimme 20K of that to dump into my studio and I will use the remaining 80K to party with some girls in it.

P.S. with today's technology, you dont need 100K studios to get pro results anymore.

you should have enough left over to install a nice pole for the ladies to swing on .

GC Pro is the only nation wide consultant (in the US) that i know of . you can low ball them big time too .

the budget has just been revised to $50,000 and the studio has already been built. The label got a private investor to invest $500,000. We just need suggestions on production gear and the best of the must haves.

5ok Is still a lot for a studio, you can get pro results with only 20k of gear. If you buy the right things.

Having a whole bunch of "top-of-the-line" stuff isnt gonna make your recordings sound better.

You still have to know how to use them.

call GC Pro is my advice .

they set up HUGE studios , that is what they do . do not let the guitar center affiliation scare you , these guys are pros .

edit - link http://www.gcpro.com/

Last edited:
This is the craziest thread I think I have ever seen on here. Who is the engineer? If he can't sit down and in 5 minutes figure out how to spend your money then I would be VERY suspicious.

You want a list:
Get a Sony Oxford and every plugin they make for the mixer
A bunch of highend Avalon preamps
A few pieces of Manley gear.
Protools recording system or a Radar system.

Some Universal Audio compressors would work in a pinch.

2 Neuman mics
A Beyer ribbon
A bunch of low end mics, hell just start picking the ones that look cool.

That should just about wipe out your 50-100K

Of course you could twist this list every way from Sunday, depending on what the Engineer likes.

Last edited:
Tim20 said:
... A Beyer ribbon ...
How long do you think it would last in this studio ...

5 minutes?

5 seconds?

"OK soun chek. Wun, Too, Three and shiTuhhh!

Uhh ... how cum dis mic aint soun like good no more?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim20 said:
This is the craziest thread I think I have ever seen on here. Who is the engineer? If he can't sit down and in 5 minutes figure out how to spend your money then I would be VERY suspicious.

LOL, but sooooo true!

If this thread is serious then before you spend a cent on gear you should find yourself a very reputable sound engineer. Not only will they be able to advise you on what gear you should have but they are also essential in making the gear do what it's supposed to do!

A good sound engineer can even make a Casiotone keyboard sound good whereas a bad engineer will easily make $100,000 worth of gear sound bad!

I just dont buy that someone with this kind of budget would be asking folks on the future producers board.

well for the skeptics the budget is real and we have 3 prospect engineers but have 5 engineers and we are trying to narrow it down to 2. Thats y i ask members of futureproducers but i think im going to go the gcpro route.

Just think about what you are expecting us to believe.

That someone would actually invest 1/2 million dollars and not know what the studio is going to be equipped with.

I would like to meet the fool who would lay out that kind of money without a solid business plan for when the label will break even and make a profit, what the studio is going to look like, the background of the engineer and the work he has done.

Now you say there are only perspective engineers. The whole venture is going to be dependent on that engineer and his background, plus the ability of the front office to pull in persepctive clients.

Venture capitalists always want return on their dollars and the worst return they would be looking for would be a measley 10 percent, so that means you have to make 50K a year in profit. With only about 2000 booking hours a year available if the place was booked solid the studio has to make about 100-200/hr.

It takes a pretty good reputation to make 100/hr or better, so you can see why this is a pretty big fish to swallow.

The last time I saw Al Schmidt or Bob Katz over here asking us our opinion on equipment was...... well...... never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back