Buiding (a progressive rock) Home Recording Studio NEED HELP

P

progmyster

Well I have been indulging in music for a cool 30 years but I now want to put some of my ideas down on CD.
So I have an Pentium 2 I'm equipping with a Echo Gia Sound Card & Outbox. I'm using Home Studio 2003 software as well as Audiocity (shareware), Ive rigged a 250Zip Drive for additional memory and backup.
I play a bunch of stringed instruments acoustic & electric, as well as flute, pan flute and bagpipe chanter. I will be using a Casio wk-1200 73 keyboard for generating background sounds (I'm hoping to generate mellotron & B3 hammond type backup.

I also have a Pentium 4/w/80 giga computer for additional support.

But I'm just putting it all together so if you wish to extend some advice or if you are familiar with this type of system/software, I'd appreciate any and support & advice

Thanks in Advance

Northerner

Well I'm just setting up my studio and can use all the advise and help

If you have any specific questions or problems you run into I'd be glad to help if I could, and Im sure others would as well...other than that

Welcome to the Bored-

Welcome to FP!

You said you have a Pentium 2 and a P4 as a backup? What's up with that? A P2 is basically obsolete to be used with modern processor-heavy sequencers...

Also, you didn't mention what you're going to use to record those acoustic instruments...flute can be a pain in the ass to get right sometimes, and I'm not even trying to guess how to record a bagpipe :D Anyway, a good large-diaphraghm condenser mic or two should be adequate for the job (combined with a suitable preamp or mixer with preamps).

I haven't used that Casio keyboard - were you planning to use it as a controller or just it's internal sounds? Casio isn't exactly regarded as a flagship in realistic organ modelling...;)

Shed some more light on your plans & goals - it's easier to give advice then.

Kushing

Just been listening to your stuff, excellent, my man very deep lots of grove & feeling too.

My acoustics will be mic-ed to get a bit of an ambient feel, I'm also well aware that the casio won't sound like a B3 but I was hoping to struggle through the guitar, bass, while triing to score a inexpensive version of Reason to use the casio in a control for sampling fashion. If that is possible.
The thing with the older computer is this one was Free and could be located into my studio area, my other computer is shared with the family so I can't move it out of it's present location.
I have a finished 35'x40' workshop that I have converted into my studio.

The Echo is a 20 and the software is all compatible with the older computer and with the Zip I have all the storage I need. My processing speed will suffer but Kush "Beggars can't always be choosers!"
The last time I was in a studio, everything was analog(1981) so this equipment is supersonic compared to a old gizzer like me use to record on.
I would like to keep intouch, your help and input would be invaluable.
By the way, I'm a Commercial Artist/Ilustrator, an have done OK by that for the past 30 years, anyways my compliments on a very nice website, great graphics!!!!

Northerner

Back