Best way to put a mic in a room?

I don't know the extent of your budget but have you looked into acoustically treating your room, but the DIY style? At the local home depot near me I can get 3 1/2" 45sqft roll of fiberglass insulation for 19.95 and just get some wood and make yourself a removable corner vocal booth

You do not want to use residential insulation for acoustical treatment ever. That stuff falls apart over time and leaves glass dust everywhere which gets in your gear, all over your house, and worst of all you breath it in. What they use in pro studios I have seen is the commercial grade insulation board. It has one side covered in a silver layer looking like tinfoil, the other side is yellow. You want to face the yellow side in to the room and you also want to cover it in something like a cheap cloth tapestry. You can find rolls of the cloth tapestry material at most arts and crafts stores. When you see acoustic panels in many studios they are just a wood frame, generally cedar or some other soft wood, the frame is holding the commercial insulation board inside and the tapestry cloth is stretched over the frame and stapled to the backside of the frame. This way you can make many panels and just slap them on the walls like sheets of drywall. Or you can take 4 panels and make a quick booth, drop the mic in from the top and cover the top with a blanket or something.

Back