Best way to put a mic in a room?

slowhill

I record everything in my bedroom, which is untreated. I have a window which I have covered by a fabric blind, and that's pretty much about it.

Where would be the best place to set the mic? middle of the room or near a corner?

If you're using a dynamic, I'd recommend setting the mic in the corner. Some Condenser mics pick up sounds from every direction, so it'd be fine to just record in the middle.

If you're using a dynamic, I'd recommend setting the mic in the corner. Some Condenser mics pick up sounds from every direction, so it'd be fine to just record in the middle.

Well I have the AT2020 USB (cardioid) so it picks up mostly in the front. still in my recordings I can tell it's not acoustically dead (obviously), and I was curious how you'd get it to sound the best in an untreated room. :)

I have the exact same question really, i jus put it in a corner with a blanket covering the wall and the artist standing facing the wall, i feel that way it helps and prevents extra reverb from bouncing off the wall and into the mic

i track vox in a untreated room sometimes.

find a spot in your room which compliments your vocal recordings. Combine that with proper gain staging and a clever use of a gating plugin.

see me using a sm7 in the middle of a room here. www.youtube.com/statixx503 watch vid titled "lets see"

Depends on the mic, recording application, the rooms shape and size.

In reality, short of treating the room there is actually nothing you can really do with most bedrooms. The best thing to do is rent a u-haul truck for 19.95 a day, return it same day, but steal all the packing blankets in the truck. Hang the packing blankets up on your walls with nails or something, and presto, instant vocal booth.

Also if the floor is not carpeted you need to lay something down on it as reflections come from all parallel surfaces.

Since bedrooms are rather large in size to cover all walls, what most engineers I know will do at home is use their closest as a vocal booth and just cover it's walls in blankets.

Another way to get rid of most of the nasty stuff is to notch it out with an EQ on record. This is generally not the best idea since you want to record as clean a signal as possible, however in some situations it is all you can do.

"still in my recordings I can tell it's not acoustically dead" - there is no such thing as acoustically dead unless you are in an anechoic chamber =D

Hahahaha ____>
In reality, short of treating the room there is actually nothing you can really do with most bedrooms. The best thing to do is rent a u-haul truck for 19.95 a day, return it same day, but steal all the packing blankets in the truck. Hang the packing blankets up on your walls with nails or something, and presto, instant vocal booth.

You could always look for a carboard box from a fridge and make that a little diy booth rather than do it in an untreated room (after treating the inside of the box of course..) lol

e.
The best thing to do is rent a u-haul truck for 19.95 a day, return it same day, but steal all the packing blankets in the truck. Hang the packing blankets up on your walls with nails or something, and presto, instant vocal booth.

LMFAOOOOOO.....I'm over here crying at this advice :cry::cry:

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

You could always look for a carboard box from a fridge and make that a little diy booth rather than do it in an untreated room (after treating the inside of the box of course..) lol

Not a bad idea in theory...I imagine it would end up sounding....like you recorded in a box though lol

i GOT MY mic in the room. Just use a mic stand and some sound material all around the mix in some 20-30 cm from it.
Nice sound is recorded though.

I don't know the extent of your budget but have you looked into acoustically treating your room, but the DIY style? At the local home depot near me I can get 3 1/2" 45sqft roll of fiberglass insulation for 19.95 and just get some wood and make yourself a removable corner vocal booth

Back