BEST sound module? (drums, pianos, orchestra...)

mano 1

Founder
Staff member
What do you think?

The EMU PROTEUS 2500 looks great (basically the 2000 updated), but some say EMU modules are thin and weak. Some looove their Roland XV-3080, others love ther Triton Rack...

list of different modules available:
http://www.gearpreview.com/music/modu.html

So... what is the one to get when you just want REALISTIC sounds such as pianos, strings, brass, winds, drums (not just electronic drums)... ?

you know... bread and butter sounds as some callt hem.. Those sounds you don't want to bother loading all the time in your sampler juggling with 30+ AKAI CDs... all in one box ready to sequence.

I don't need sampling or analog synthesis.. straight quality soundbank.

Your opinion! Push "post reply".

If you want quality you might want to try Kurzweil's K2600 rack, it sounds soo good, there's a cheaper module by Kurzweil loaded with meat & potatoes sounds as well (forgot the model) :cool:

yeah.. i agree on the kurzweil K2600 :) ... if you don't care about the $$$

Hasn't tested almost any of the newer "all in one"-modules... but i think that the xv-series is something to check out. Korg triton sounds really great.. but a little... "flat" compared to other modules (still sounds terrific in the mix).
And what i've heard from proteus2000 users.. they ONLY use it for drums

good to know. I've read a few user reviews of both Triton Rack, XV-3080 and Proteus 2000 and apparently the XV-3080 is the one that fits more my needs

I still need to look into the Kurz.
more input! :)

Hey guys, I'm totally biased here, since I own a K2600, but the very reason I bought it is because of the strings, voices, piano and symphonic sounds.

I haven't yet gotten the orchestral ROM, but am saving up for it. in the meantime, here's a pretty impressive demo of Kurzweil's Orchestral sounds (this ones for the PC2):

I checked out some other synths, and they were great (and many better than my Kurzweil) at creating phat grooves and modular sounds, but none could really emulate the sound of a symphony as well as the Kurzweil.

I downloaded two of the Proteus 2500 demos yesterday and wasn't impressed at all ; in fact I think they sounded like a twinky, the Roms synth sounds were good but you have to buy them separately and if you have a Virus Mano there's no point . ;)

yep, i already have the wonderful VIRUS B for the synthesis part, and my PULSAR II for mixing, effects, and even sampling.

Now... I am tired of loading 10+ CDROMs into my sampler each time I want to produce a track with pianos, realistic drums and other strings or woodwinds... Bread n Butter sounds in a box is what I need :)

The Roland XV-3080 looks really nice I think, I am hesitating between this one (can get one for $1000) and the Kurzweil K2600R (rack).

The Kurz is quite expensive though, if they had the same one without sampling I'd probably get it. Any idea?

Hi ...

I have a Triton (not the rack), an Alesis QS7.1 and an XV5080 for all of my non-synth sounds. For synth sounds I use the ubiquitous Virus (Indigo) ... there's really nothing better.

The Triton is ... a piece of s**t. People seem to like touring with them, but it's garbage for the on-board sounds in my opinion. Turn the effects off and hear the pain of the sounds ... ouch! It was an impulse buy ... everyone else had one, so it had to be good, right? Wrong. Don't buy one.

The Alesis ... a great piece of kit. I don't know if you can still get them, but the QSR is a decent rack unit for "meat & potatoes" sounds. A little dodgy around some of sample-switching points, but otherwise very useable and easy to fit in a mix.

The XV5080. Ah ... what a monster. So many great, useable sounds ... hundreds upon hundreds of 'em! Everyone should have those JV sounds. So, my opinion is, get an XV3080. You can do a LOT worse than that!

Regards,

(stu.macQ)

stu.macQ, EXCELLENT POST man thank you it was a great input in the thread! phew!

Yes "everybody" has a triton nowaday, I am happy that you cleared this one up.

The XV3080 definitly sounds like a winner, its available at www.music123.com for only $1079. That's a great price for it.

I'm going to get it with two additional cards. They are all demo'ed on roland's site.

Like you, I also have a virus b for my synth sounds! way to go ;) no need of any other synth sounds.

Volantiz: the 5080 i think is the same as 3080 but with sampling, and with more card slots... i dont need the sampling part and it costs $1500 more than what i can get the 3080 for

can't wait!

the proteus is incredible for warm, lush pads. you can't beat e-mu's architecture for warmth. works everytime!

dunno about the other...

Volantiz: aaahh you mean "the" new one that was just announced, yes. Actually I think it's a cheaper version with less voices (64 instead of 128) and with less outputs etc.. Im still charmed by the 3080 :) until i try the 5050 in case.

sapien: yeah the proteus is probably good for pads, but my VIRUS B is a pad machine already :) any electronic sound is covered, dont need any more. thanks for your input though!

yeeeeesssir.. the _new_ one ;)

Forgot to mention.. the XV-series is not famous for good drums (maybe the srx-drum-card?)... but the triton is o_O

"and the mystery thickens again!" *DA DA DA DAAA* :eek:

ManoOne said:

The Kurz is quite expensive though, if they had the same one without sampling I'd probably get it. Any idea?

I think you can get a k2600 without the sampling option and believe me, you do get what you pay for, it is a pro level instrument, and the synthesis engine is incredibly powerful, the only limitation is the 48 voice polyphony .

MusickMan said:
I think you can get a k2600 without the sampling option and believe me, you do get what you pay for, it is a pro level instrument,

I believe you :) what is this model? I checked the catalog and it was very expensive, especially considering the fact that I can get a XV 3080 for $1000, and the sound is excellent too.

We use the K2500S at school in my electronic music clss, and I must say I'm not very impressed by the sounds. Well, some of them are really good. But the "bread and butter" sounds seem like they could be better. maybe the 2600 has better sounds... but I don't know.

My favorite piano sound so far is the PC2X

and so far my favorite strings is the Emu Virtuoso, but I haven't really been looking for strings in a module yet... I'm still fine with sample CDs for now.

I've heard alot of good things about the roland XV modules though. A lot of people say the strings are much better than the virtuoso... I've never heard them myself though.

YEP Frozen! good post man!

thanks for this link! I never saw this review. Oh my! That was too shorT! More mp3s!! :)

yeah looks like I am going to order an XV3080 with one or two extensions!

:victory:

i got the protues 2000 its aight u can work with it but i wouldnt buy it again if i had more money at the time i like the triton but i never really used any of those other ones

Back