Best monitors for 300-400?

Originally posted by CubaseRox
Experience is the key word here, So for an amateur to have expensive monitors is useless if he lacks the ability to mix let alone use an EQ or compressor etc.

Posted by Geryon
Useless? The better monitors an amateur is possessing, the faster he/she will learn, I assure you.

I was saying that in terms of that any gear is usless to one that lacks the ability to have the skill to use it.

e.g. If you put some guy in the most fastest race car and he could never learn how to drive, how could he use the car then?

Last edited:
Intersting facts here. Quick question.
Right now im having to mix on some home stereo hi fi sony 10 inch speakers. they sound way too good to be mixing on for sure but right now its all i got.
The bass and treble knobs both range from -10 to +10. Should i keep these on zero for best results. Also it has a bass boost button should i keep this off? Anything else i can do to flatten the sound of these speakers maybe? Im not gonna use these speakers long but im having to mix a track today so i have to. i have a real good set of headphones would it be better to use headphones or hi fi speakers? Ive been using a comination of headphones Hi Fi speakers and computer speakers just to have variety and hopefully more accurate translation.

Keep the knobs (bass & treble) on the speakers centered, keep the loudness button off.

Keeping the sound as flat as possible would help.

But the the amp you have them hooked up to still might color the sound.

You should save up and get some decent monitors.

So the amp colors the sound too? I didnt know that. Yea im for sure in some real need of monitors after Ram thats the next on the list

i haven't read all the posts but Im also gonna say the rockit 5's are very nice I bought them for less then 300 by haggling with the guy at guitar center.

They sound great in a small control/mixing room.

I'd highly recommend them.

Peace

Back