The best allround musicmaking tool?

T

-Tr!PpLe H-

Wich is the absolute best tool for making music with?
Synth, drums, bass etc...

software:
(condition: recommended is a good PC and 128MB or even 256MB RAM):

if you're not afraid of learning the program, buy Propellerhead's Reason (± $450); it's an all-in-one package including a sequenser, a virtual sampler, a good VA synth, a decent drum module, and lots of fx
=> but it requires a little bit learning time

see: propellerheads reason info & downloadable demo

hardware:

if you go into hardware synths, it will take much more $$, so if you're new into it, maybe it's more safe to try the software first
=> very popular all-in-one synths are the Akai MPC2000 (± $1400 ) or the Yamaha RS7000 (± $1500 )

Hope this helped a little...

most IMPORTANT tool

The most important tool is...

... your ears!

Of course, it's hard to play some of those tricky piano chords with them.

sampler.

not sure that ears can be defined as 'tools' theblue1;)

KasioRoks

That's right, KasioRoks, but for playing a sampler, you need a sequenser too (and a master keyboard), isn't it ?

So a stand-alone sampler is not the ideal solution for -Tr!PpLe H-'s question ; I think the sampler workstations are a better solution (like I mentioned above: Akai MPC2000 or Yamaha RS7000)

Am I wrong ?

No you're not wrong, I think I just saw the question a bit different. I was thinking in terms of a single tool that can do the job of synths, bass, drums etc.

BTW why did you change your name THM?

KasioRoks

my nickname from my student years was (translated to English) "The Mariner"; I have a Flash-site under the name The Happy Mariner (THM) too, and my future records will act under the name THM

and "fat_boy_pier"... everybody says : "hey, that's like Fat Boy Slim", while I had that nickname already when Fat Boy Slim was a Housemartin... :-D

Nice flash sites

Nice sites, Mariner and datapimp.

Mariner, I like it all but I was charmed by your little 'thermometer clock'... :)

Why are you crying scientist? Slow modem, don't want to download the flash plug-in?:confused:

KasioRoks

mano1 killed the alldaychat.......

so thoose discussions happen in the other forums now.

The best? Buzz is!

I think Reason (for example) doesn't even come close to Buzz. Then what's Buzz?

A all-in-one program like Reason, but with far more possibilities. It has over 400 machines (devided into generators and effects) in many different categories. You'll find over 40 softsynths, 8 or 9 different 'trackers', a bunch of drummachines, bass machines, vst-support, direct-x-support, midi-support, soundfonts-support and loads of effect: reverbs, delays, chorus, flangers, phasers, +40 types of distortion, equalizers, +50 filters, modulation, surround-effects and a lot more...
Since it has a modular way of tracking you can link almost any machine to another (1 generator with ## of effects), wich means you've got endless possibilities.
Any parameter of any generator or effect can be tweaked on-the-fly (that's f*cking awesome!). Since it has a very large archive of machines (and it growes by the day) the use of sample becomes almost needless...

But there's one problem about Buzz: Since it is beta (and most of the machines are too) it has some bugs, wich result in crashes or hang sometimes. When you're like me and don't save your work very often, that can be a real pain in the ***: worked 3 hours any a couple of patterns and then...[ freeze ] it hangs...and everything is lost...so make sure to save your more often.

BTW...Buzz is totally free and so are the machines, updates and other stuff related. The interface in Buzz isn't very great, but that's not the main point, right? Alltogether...I think Buzz is nr.1...you can download it at:

http://www.buzzmachines.com

I checked the Buzz-site.

pro:

1° totally free
2° lots of features

contra:

what an ugly interface (bweeh :eek: ) ; where Reason is a beauty, this one is really awful;
nevertheless I wonder what it's like to work with and how it sounds, so maybe I'll try it later

THM said:
That's right, KasioRoks, but for playing a sampler, you need a sequenser too (and a master keyboard), isn't it ?

So a stand-alone sampler is not the ideal solution for -Tr!PpLe H-'s question ; I think the sampler workstations are a better solution (like I mentioned above: Akai MPC2000 or Yamaha RS7000)

Am I wrong ?

The E-Mu's(E4) all have 48 track sequencers on board. Really easy to use too.

A sampler is definately the best all around tool. At least the E-Mu's are.

I'm shutting my mouth... :D

There aren't many samplers with a real good built-in sequenser. But I haven't seen that Emu's yet. Sorry...

It's nothing great, but it's easy to use and it's got 48 tracks. It's really only for laying down ideas and playing back sequences that you made with a better sequencer. It's the next best thing to a full fledged workstation.

Back