Beringer Harsh Truths

R

reflekshun

So i just got a pair of truths and i'm wrapped! One thing about them though is that they're so brutally honest. See my studio setup doubles as a pleasure listening station... And as expected, most of my collection seems to sound alot duller on these speakers!!

Has anyone got any rough guidlines on which frequencies i should boost to get it closer to that more exciting hi-fi sound? Or is it actually more than just frequencies? maybe hifi speaker compression?

Thankyou anyone who can help!

seriously, I would return them and get something different if I were you.

I had two sets of behringer truths, the first set one of the speakers was doa. the next set one speaker sounded drastically different than the other, which makes it impossible to mix.

In that price range I would recommend the alesis m1 mkII or for a little less event tr5-n.

I use some little fostex ps 3.1 monitors with the matching sub and I think they sound far superior to the behringers just not as loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you probably already know, hi-fi
speakers (cheap or expensive) where designed to make your music sound better. It hides flaws. Monitor speakers are for studio’s where you want to hear the actual sound,... the good, the bad and the ugly.

If you're even moderately into “good-sound”, you will not be happy with any monitors for your stereo /surround sound setup. I highly recommend getting a NHT speakers setup for your stereo and just using your monitors for makin’n music!

After you produce your music on your Truths, you can enjoy it with your friends on your NHT's.

I've got the Truths too (and they double as living room speakers - something that I want to change but don't know how to yet).

It is common practice to cut the high end by -2db (on the back of ea speaker there's a switch) to lesson ear fatigue.

I have the high-freq trim on the back of my KRKs set to -1dB, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Cuts out ear fatigue greatly.

-Hoax

Whoops, I meant common with the Truth monitors. Good to hear this works with other monitors as well.

I think i've decided to keep my old hifi speakers (though they are kinda weak) both for pleasure and for an alternate pair of monitors. (I know them very well)

dirtchambers: I may not be as hardcore as you :p These are definitely better than my old hifi speakers, and I struck a very good deal with them.. its all i can afford, and i'm sure its not going to have a negative effect!

Assfat: Thanks for the -2db tip! I'll be trying that for the next week or so :D Any idea what freq it (and the bass filter) shelves?

Barzin: I think u really hit it on the head, thats exactly what i needed to know. Thanks.. I'm keeping my hifi-speakers.

I think i'm just being really confused cos my hifi speakers lack bass so in a way the truths have that edge in pleasure listening.. But not everall i think... Thanks to all for your input.. more would be more than welcome! i need to get 'in the loop' with monitors! I have no idea..

dirtchambers said:
seriously, I would return them and get something different if I were you.

I had two sets of behringer truths, the first set one of the speakers was doa. the next set one speaker sounded drastically different than the other, which makes it impossible to mix.

In that price range I would recommend the alesis m1 mkII or for a little less event tr5-n.

I use some little fostex ps 3.1 monitors with the matching sub and I think they sound far superior to the behringers just not as loud.

I've got the Alesis's, but am quite curious as to how the Behringer sounds. There's quite a debate, some say this is better, and some say the other. You should try em both out before you buy.

I had my first time mixing with the Truths last night, and it was a joy! Definitely alot clearer to see where everything is, and it seems very honest. When i played my mix on other systems it sounded just as i wanted. So far so good! Its great not having to stress (or at least alot less) about what freqs the speakers attenuating/gaining.

Back