behringer UB1204 pro or UB1204fx

K

killabill

hi

im undecided as to whether i should purchase a behringer UB1204 Pro or the expensiver fx version. the only difference is that the latter has 99 preset on board effects etc that i can apply. is it worth spending the extra $50 and buying that when all im going to use my mixer for is to connect 2 condensor mic's for recording a drum and maybe another stringed intsrument.

thanks

I don't believe that 50 more bucks for the effects is worth it. Although I have never tried out the Behringer effects on their mixers, I'd put my money on them being pretty weak. Save your money, put that money towards getting dedicated effect processors instead or software effects.

Yeah, every review of the Behringer FX range I've seen includes something along the lines of "Even at $50 for 99 the effects are a total waste of money".

Yep. But when that's the very first thing you'll do when you hear how bad they are, why bother having that crap in there?

Keep it simple and clean :)

Those ub mixers suck. They add a bunch of noise and the effects are terrible.

I have the 1204, I can't get it to work just yet. I have it hooked up and the main mix indicator is showing it is getting a signal but no sound and no control over it.

don't buy no UB series mixer, they are releasing a new serie of mixers (available 1st quarter 2006) which is basically the same but SUPPOSEDLY better:

check it out:
xenyx 1204
209.99$ USD

Eurorack UB 1204
149.99$ USD

I bought a UB1204 last year, it SUCKED big time, believe me bro, PLEASE believe, it is a piece of garbage if you want to record. sent it back after a week. i still got my in-store credit lol, trying to use it wisely.

check out Mackie 1202 or 1402

and if you STILL want to go behringer, then at least don't take the unit with the fx's.

Its just like cellphones, you got phones with camera, but if you want high quality pics you get a dedicated digital cam no?

PrinceOfDarkness said:
don't buy no UB series mixer, they are releasing a new serie of mixers (available 1st quarter 2006) which is basically the same but SUPPOSEDLY better:

check it out:
xenyx 1204
209.99$ USD

Eurorack UB 1204
149.99$ USD

I bought a UB1204 last year, it SUCKED big time, believe me bro, PLEASE believe, it is a piece of garbage if you want to record. sent it back after a week. i still got my in-store credit lol, trying to use it wisely.

check out Mackie 1202 or 1402

and if you STILL want to go behringer, then at least don't take the unit with the fx's.

Its just like cellphones, you got phones with camera, but if you want high quality pics you get a dedicated digital cam no?

Though I agree to not get the UB series, I'd have to say DON'T GET ANYTHING BY BEHRINGER, except those nice BCR & BCF 2000 controllers.

I honestly think that the FX thing is just Behringer, cuz my Yamaha MG8/FX2 has some really nice reverbs settings.

I think it depends on the board and manufactuer.

I don't like the Behringer's mixers at all, hi noise and horribly wired.

I'm not a fan of the on board mixer fx either, but some brands have good stuff.

It also matters if you need the extra bus, like I'm about the get the MG16/FX6, since the MG16 without FX only has 4 busses.

Go Mackie or Yamaha, much better.

Also, Alesis makes some good USB mixers, no need for an interface, just a thought.

PhobikONE said:

Though I agree to not get the UB series, I'd have to say DON'T GET ANYTHING BY BEHRINGER, except those nice BCR & BCF 2000 controllers.

yea, those controllers seems good, even tho i don't really like the looks of it, it is a good bang for the buck

PrinceOfDarkness said:

yea, those controllers seems good, even tho i don't really like the looks of it, it is a good bang for the buck

I trust Xabiton's review, plus, I've been looking at them for some time.

I haven't yet got them, but I really want both of them, since it would be nice to use the Rotary one just for synths and stuff, or whatever other knob I need to change on the PC.

I like the Fader one for mixing, seems to let you "feel" the mix better.

Like I said, I'm completely biased when it comes to Behringer, except on these two models, only because I can see a good use of them, and they involve NO AUDIO WIRING, a definite place where Behringer lacks.

PhobikONE said:

I trust Xabiton's review, plus, I've been looking at them for some time.

I haven't yet got them, but I really want both of them, since it would be nice to use the Rotary one just for synths and stuff, or whatever other knob I need to change on the PC.

I like the Fader one for mixing, seems to let you "feel" the mix better.

Like I said, I'm completely biased when it comes to Behringer, except on these two models, only because I can see a good use of them, and they involve NO AUDIO WIRING, a definite place where Behringer lacks.

yea i had my share of bad experiences with behringer, but since these units does not involve any audio, only pure midi data, it won't affect the sound so im less paranoid with these lol

and yea, faders i need them too, once i finally buy a hardware unit, ill have to go back to all my flp files and send each channel to its own fx slot, so that i can mix it properly and once and for all. it seems like my mixes are never official, i always go back and tweak a stupid parameter by a couple %.

knobs are good in electronic music, for tweaking, synth programming and definitely useful for automation.

and ya know automated faders gets them ladies in the mood haha

they really should come up wit a big ass controller with 30's of auto faders and 100's of knobs

PrinceOfDarkness said:

yea i had my share of bad experiences with behringer, but since these units does not involve any audio, only pure midi data, it won't affect the sound so im less paranoid with these lol

and yea, faders i need them too, once i finally buy a hardware unit, ill have to go back to all my flp files and send each channel to its own fx slot, so that i can mix it properly and once and for all. it seems like my mixes are never official, i always go back and tweak a stupid parameter by a couple %.

knobs are good in electronic music, for tweaking, synth programming and definitely useful for automation.

and ya know automated faders gets them ladies in the mood haha

they really should come up wit a big ass controller with 30's of auto faders and 100's of knobs

Damn, that's way over kill bro!

They both have 32 preset banks, so you can save all your banks seperately, use the right one for the right program or track.

Those are 100mm motorized faders (or "flying" faders as some call them), which is really nice for automation.

I don't see having one big unit for all that stuff.

I like how I can grab just one piece of gear to do the job, but when you get too big, I can't grab the piece I need.

My setup, once I have those two controllers, will consist of a midi controller keyboard, the MPD16 and the BCF2000, and BCR2000...

With that said, I only need to keep the Fader one out, the Rotary will go behind the keyboard (rather, under my desk shelf), to keep it out of the way unless I need it.

The Fader will be right in front of me, along with the MPD16.

I think having the dedicated pieces can make workflow better, but time will only tell.

Just felt like chiming in.

My Behringer UB1204 FX, in short, sucks. The effects suck, and the sound quality sucks as well. Obscene amounts of noise at even moderate recording levels.

Just say no to Behringer.

PhobikONE said:

Damn, that's way over kill bro!

They both have 32 preset banks, so you can save all your banks seperately, use the right one for the right program or track.

hahaha, c'mon i was exagerating man, but im really looking forward the yamaha 01x, i think this will be my next purchase, time to save up!

PrinceOfDarkness said:

hahaha, c'mon i was exagerating man, but im really looking forward the yamaha 01x, i think this will be my next purchase, time to save up!

I thought you said the faders were cheap plastic?

I do like that thing, let me know how it goes.

I just purchased a use desk. 3 piece corner desk.

Enough room for dual CRT monitors and studio monitors that create a perfect stereo image.

Love this desk, cost me 75 plus a dubski for my buddy to bring it over. All in all, great purchase, hanging folder drawer, 1/2 cupboard, full (tower) cupboard, and a shelf. Also has a middle shelve for the monitor and speakers.

Takes up less space then my two old desks.

i have the ub1204fx i havent noticed anything really wrong, there is a little bit of noise on the pre amp side of things, but not nearly as much as there is with my ART tube mp. i only browsed the fx briefly because all im using the mixer for is to attenuate the volume of my monitors...i only paid 50 bucks for the mixer brand new at guitar center so i can say that im more than pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back