bedroom production studio

great white

Hey guys im new to this whole deal so go easy on me, i have a 10x11 room with an 8 foot ceiling and one 3x4 foot window. I will be converting this to my production studio and am looking to get the most out of the room im even willing to build a small recording booth and replace the carpet with something better suited for the studio. In the future i will be producing mixing mastering and recording vocals for hip hop.
Although right now im just focusing on getting the room set before i purchase equipment.

Authentic wood flooring works well for recording. If the carpet is the paper thin kind, you could probably get away with moveable wood flooring. Different types will color the sound differently, if you're recording. Set up your desk and monitors to face longway, so in other words place it on the 10ft wall. Of course, infest in some decent acoustic treatment. Stay away from foam obviously. I would look into possibly putting up easily removable sound proofing on the windows as well.

I'm no expert though, these are just a few things I've picked up along the way.

the size of your room is not going to be conducive to doing anything that might approach good simply because it is too small

most mix positions are best set 1/3 into the long side of the room and situated half way across the short side of the room

you have some issues with the following frequencies 70.63Hz, 56.50Hz, 51.36Hz

treatment will need to be applied carefully; see this Sound Proofing vs. Sound Treatment and this John L Sayers recording manual - most of the right hand links should be read, also make sure to click on every single tab to ensure that you read everything - for more ideas

Back