Beat Production?

S

Skittles

What would i need to produce my own hip-hop beats equipment and software. What is good and cheap?

do some searchin man. the infos all here.

basics:
MIDI Controller
MIDI I/O
Reason or Fruityloops

thats the cheapest way to get started. MIDI controller thru Midi I/O to Reason or FL.

Reason is about $300, I think FL is around $200. Entry-level MIDI I/Os are under $100. The place to spend your money is the MIDI controller. I would not go for a controller that is not a musical keyboard also, because I spend a lot of time just playing with the keyboard separate of the computer coming up with stuff.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
K i know this is a dumb ass question and i prob already know this but whats a Midi I/O? is this TOTALY nessesary?

ah k i thouhg u could just hook up a midi controller threw the usb and call it a wrap, guess i need to learn more lol

Some MIDI controllers such as the M-Audio Oxygen 8 and Ozone will do just that. They can both be plugged into the comuter via USB and send the MIDI information that way. The Ozone actually has an audio interface as well.

A MIDI interface is just a box with MIDI in and outs. These can be had pretty cheap, I got a MIDIman 2x2 for about $40 off ebay and it was like brand new. The advanatage of these over a MIDI controller that uses USB is expandability. You may find you want more gear down the road, and you'll have to buy an interface at some point, so maybe having a few extra ports from the get go may be a good idea. Depends on your budget and goals. Also you may want a controller keyboard that is also a synth or even a workstation. As said above sometimes having a decent synth or workstation is helpful if you don't want to boot up the computer etc. when you just wanna tweak some knobs or make some sounds.

ah thanks man. all i gonna do and want is use FL and reason. and ima continue doign that for a verry long time. i wanna get the Korg MicoKontroller. It has everything on it. u can use it to play notes, has a beat pad for drums and other **** and knowb and sliders for mixing tracks and other ****. so that why i just though that i only need to hook it up to USB. thanks for the info man, much respect. 1!

Back