Bass traps in closet booth

kirkle

I'm wanting to make a booth out of the closet in my computer room/studio, but I've been reading all these posts explaining the evils of recording vocals in a closet booth due to the low end problems. Why can't you just put some bass traps in the corners to absorb the low end? Seems to me if the big problem with a closet is the low end needs to be absorbed, why not just absorb it? Am I missing something?

k.

By the time you put enough traps in there to take care of the low end, you won't be able to stand in it.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Just put the noisy gear in the closet.
Word.

It's quite acceptible to record in a larger room once you've reduced or eliminated all the sources of noise (computers, outside noise, etc).

I record in my bedroom with my PowerMac running, inside a small rack with the front lid on. Just some basic acoustic treatment and low-end absorbption

audiotecnicality said:
It's quite acceptible to record in a larger room...
Not just "acceptable" - Physically optimal. "Vocal booths" are rooms. SMALL ones are perhaps 9x13 with 10' ceilings.

The bigger the space (as long as it's reasonably well-controlled) the better 90% of the time.

I am taking your advice and will use the main office to record instead of the closet. The room is about 13x12 with 8' ceilings.

I have the Antec Sonata II case and found a pre-cut soundproofing kit for it that supposedly cuts 99% of the noise from the computer. Here is the link:

http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acoustipack_antec_sonata_2.asp

I also ordered 2 of the GIK 244 acoustic panels from gikacoustics.com, and 144 s.f. of the 2" pyramid foam from foambymail.com.

Any placement suggestions for these would be appreciated. I am currently thinking I'll put the two panels on the wall behind my computer desk on either side of the monitors. Or should I mount them in the corners of the same wall? The foam was going to cover the closet but I'll just use it in the main room now.

Thanks
k.

with that sound proofing kit i would be worried about the heat inside the case, im assuming that foam would somewhat insulate it resulting in it getting even hotter inside there than it already is...

that sonata is a beast, it stays cool...it gots a good cooling system. So i wouldn't be worried about that.

I never knew about this, i might get it too now.

Last edited:
Yeah, that seems like it would solve a lot of my problems and for a reasonable price as well!!

I agree with mostly everyone. Your better of shoving all your equipment in to the closet and making the room more acoustic friendly and just record in your room. But if your really determined to have a booth and you want to use the closet then i have a solution. Sound proof the closet put in dampeners and do what yah do. This will ultimately give you a dead sound. in order to life the dead sound your going to need a effects processor. If you know anything about effects processors then check this out. Us reverb to lift the dead from your vocals and add a little life. Because what happens when you get a dead sound is no reverberation
is getting back to the mic so you get a flat sound. It's like layering vocals on a track it gives it life that's why you need a little reverb. But that's your best bet if you really want to do the closet booth. let me know how it goes.

By the way, you *do* need to have the closet ventilated somehow. Otherwise, you're going to burn up your machine(s). If it were me, I'd put some sort of a forced vent in the ceiling (something quiet) and run a hose outside through the attic. If you're not into building modification, cracking the door could work, I guess.

Thought - Building a box inside the closet with a pair of 4" low-speed computer fans and an air outlet the header. As long as there are a couple of angles in the box, the airflow should be sufficient AND quiet. Isolating the box using rubber grommets of some sort or some 1/2" neoprene would probably be in order also.

Somebody has to make something like that already - It's too simple...

Back