Basic setup

J

Jack V

My current setup is this:
I have a Computer which is the equivalent of pentium II.
Software so far: Magix Music Maker, Cakewalk Express, and ACID 2.0
Hardware: Korg ES-1 sampler

I am thinking of buying the following:
Reason
Evolution Fatar MK-149 MIDI keyboard

Would this be a reasonable setup for a beginner and do you guys have any comments or suggestions? I am looking to make dance tracks: techno house, progressive, etc.

Also would I need a sequencer or can it all be done from Reason.
If I did need a sequencer, I;m not looking to spend too much so would Cubasis be better thn Cakewalk Express?

Will the computer be powerful enough?

Thanks,
Jack V

The main consideration in wether a computer will be powerfull enough or not is the amount of RAM it has: which you didn't specify.

Basically, a P2 or better with 128Mb RAM is the minimum spec i'd be looking for. RAM is so cheap right now tho that if u have less, it'd be easy to upgrade (and I'd reccomend getting at least 256Mb into the computer, especially if your running a lot of software synths and samplers).

The controller keyboard you mention is excellent, much better built than most on the market.

Reason does include some simple sequencers, so maybe you could get it and play around for a while - then if they didn't fufill your needs, buy Cubase or Emagic. I wouldn't reccomend Cakewalk, altho some people swear by it.

256 mb of ram is ideal. Any higher and it doesn't make much difference with windows.

I had Cakewalk Pro Audio and I can't say I was fond of it. With pop-up interfaces and layouts, it was very confusing. My friend and I rid of our M-Audio Delta 10/10 and he bought an Alesis Adat Digital 8 20 bit Hard Disk Recorder and a 12 channel Alesis Mixer. We love it and it is very easy to use.

Your setup seems fine.

Get a good sound card

if you use acid alot or going in with audio...get a good sound card with no hiss for good quality...
and i think you will be set.:cheers:

could you name some good sound cards that are available for a reasonable price OR make some comparisons between budget cards and high-end ones?

Thanks.....

256 mb of ram is ideal. Any higher and it doesn't make much difference with windows.

Thats not entirely true.. if your running win2k or nt4.. it makes a hell of a difference to have more.. if your handling BIG audio files i would say have more.. atleast 512 (the theory goes when working with big files to have atleast 1.5 times the size of the file in ram to have good efficiency). I just upgraded my amount to 1 gig.. and i run several apps which soak up large amounts of ram at once without a problem. standard ram is almost being thrown away, why settle with second best?

With Win 98 anything over 512 incurrs heavy processor use for control of RAM, since the OS can't address 512Mb of RAM properly. 256Mb is best with 98, possibly 512. Anything more with Win 98 is false economy if other applications your running are also Processor hungry.

Back