basic set-up

C

cnice

I need a basic idea of what i should have for my set up. I just got a kitted dell 8400. I really wanted to know what I should be looking to get to utilize my money. I was thinking cubase sl 2 (with student discount)with some vsts or a soft sampler and drum program, and a 3 octave controller. My concerns really have to do with connection. Basically what ALL do I need to get up and running? Interfaces, cables, sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy TM2 sufficient?) etc.. Keep in mind im a broke student so take it easy on my finances. Appreciate the help. A basic overview may be in order.

hmm i would suggest getting one of those cheaper m-audio cards with a built in midi interface that is asio capable. www.midiman.com check out what they have as one of those would be a better choice than an audigy card...im not very familiar with cubase (many people here seem to be using it with success) maybe consider getting native instruments battery for drums its a pretty good program.

stay away from creative products for recording, theyre made for games not recording.

Scarecrow is right, one of the cheaper m-audio cards should suffice. another company that makes great inexpensive sound cards for recording is e-mu (http://www.emu.com).

The emu 0404 is about 100 bucks isn't it? That should do the job also.

I can't recommend anything else since I don't know what you're wanting to do also.

Do you want to do recordings also?

Back