Ayo im a newbie yo whats the deal about cubase

Steinbergs Cubase is an audio/midi sequencing software with many powerful features like FX-PlugIns, Rewire or VST Instruments etc. Try the Steinberg Homepage, Google and the great Search function on this site for more info.

Shad

If you have no midi controller and no outtboard midi gear of nice VST instruments, it won't serve you too well for making beats but it will for multi-tracking.

If you're still new to production, I highly recommend checking out the demo of Tracktion before making your sequencer decision.

Tracktion works, for me, exactly how I want a sequencer to work. If I want a loop to play, I drag the audio onto a track and then specify how often I want it to repeat. If I want to effect it, drag a plug-in down and drop it on to the end of the track. Everything is visible on the main screen, one of the design decisions is to do away with having to track information across multiple displays. I find the interface clean and easy to follow...in fact, I find that I barely notice the interface, which is the biggest compliment I can pay it.

Don't be put off by its relative newness either...it offers plug-in delay compensation, track freezing, ReWire... The author hangs out on the forum at K-v-R and has been known to make bug fixes available within hours of their being reported. And it's only US$80, which is just amazing.

Highly recommended!

Sleepy, you can easily create beats on the fly using the piano roll edit page and pencilling in the notes, but I agree a decent midi controller keyboards or drum pads would be far more expressive. The trance heads actually program their beats using the piano roll edit and grid edit pages as they cant begin to play keys or pads at 180bpm.

Sorry Sleepy, but Cubase has extensive beat making capabilities. It has functionality akin to apps like Recycle and the sequencer is as versatile, if not better, than most dedicated sequencing software apps.

SkyZu Ent: Cubase is, to a large extent, powered by VST effects and instruments. There are thousands that can be downloaded free off the net so you won't have any trouble finding sounds to work with.

Read the manual! unlike fruityloops cubase is not a setup and go program. Its intuitive and you need to learn the functionality, but once you know it, it makes most other music apps obsolete.

My point is cubase is not in anyway, shape or form, an upgrade from fruityloops.

if fruityloops is a steak, cubase is the whole cow. :)

peac

How does Cuabase compare to Sonar Producer?
I'm looking to buy one or the other in the next week or so. Please try to keep it as objective as possible.

I have:
AMD 966 Mhz
256 RAM
30 gig IDE drive
Sound Blaster Live Platinum (don't laugh!)
MIDI Interface (future)

How does Cuabase compare to Sonar Producer?
I'm looking to buy one or the other in the next week or so. Please try to keep it as objective as possible.

I have:
AMD 966 Mhz
256 RAM
30 gig IDE drive
Sound Blaster Live Platinum (don't laugh!)
MIDI Interface (future)

^^ u ever think about Going to the Sites and checking them both out Spec wise? and you will need a better Card man, you will Experience latency City with that live

Cyko said:
^^ u ever think about Going to the Sites and checking them both out Spec wise? and you will need a better Card man, you will Experience latency City with that live

specs don't really mean much if you dont have a grounding in the program.
Personally i use cubase/nuendo always have. i tried logic out a few times but to be honest it didnt seem 'logical'. however friends who do use it claim it is better that cubase.
With the new features in cubase sx 2 and nuendo 2.1 though, you'd b hardpressed to find a better sequencer/mixer/multitracker imo.

Paul Rez said:
Sorry Sleepy, but Cubase has extensive beat making capabilities. It has functionality akin to apps like Recycle and the sequencer is as versatile, if not better, than most dedicated sequencing software apps.

peac

Sorry to bring this back up from the bottom.

Cubase is great for making beats. We can both agree on that. But I would never spend the time penciling in notes on Cubase if I can do it with a click on fruity loops. However, I am more than happy using a midi controller on Cubase for making beats.

One thing if anything that Cubase has on Fruity loops is cycle recording. I don't think that'd be too hard to implement on FL but then again, I am not a programmer of any sort.

Maybe it's just me, but when I tried out a bundled Cubasis at the very beginning before I knew much with no midi controller of any sort, I didn't know what to do. The idea of using the pencil tool was not appealing neither. This is why I left it and eventually picked up FL. When I started learning and reached some limitations on FL, then came Cubase SX. By this time, I had a midi controller, a sound module, quite a few different audio production cards and Cubase was pretty simple then.

I still wouldn't recommend Cubase without a midi controller although a person can get by without one.

It's true,
I have zero experience with windows sequencers, and have only used logic for a single project and didn't sequence or use external MIDI devices. I only have experience with analog recording up to this point.

Does anyone use sonar?

I need something that does audio tracks as well as it sequences MIDI data.

From what I have experienced, I'd recommend Sonar for Midi and Cubase for Audio.

Both can do pretty much the same, but Cubase I find more flexible with audio and Sonar way more flexible with midi routing.

sleepy said:

Sorry to bring this back up from the bottom.

Cubase is great for making beats. We can both agree on that. But I would never spend the time penciling in notes on Cubase if I can do it with a click on fruity loops. However, I am more than happy using a midi controller on Cubase for making beats.

One thing if anything that Cubase has on Fruity loops is cycle recording. I don't think that'd be too hard to implement on FL but then again, I am not a programmer of any sort.

Maybe it's just me, but when I tried out a bundled Cubasis at the very beginning before I knew much with no midi controller of any sort, I didn't know what to do. The idea of using the pencil tool was not appealing neither. This is why I left it and eventually picked up FL. When I started learning and reached some limitations on FL, then came Cubase SX. By this time, I had a midi controller, a sound module, quite a few different audio production cards and Cubase was pretty simple then.

I still wouldn't recommend Cubase without a midi controller although a person can get by without one.

So you can't produce hot beats with a sequencer? You guys have been missin' the real ****. As for Cubase without a midi controller, you must be kidding me. It don't matter what the program is, I will still whoop yo a$$ in a beat comp.....

Yall Sleep on Sonar if ya want!!!

I've been using Cakewalk's Sonar XL for over a year now. I've dabbled in FL in the past, but felt limited creatively. I recently bought Cakewalk's Project 5 which is Reason 2.5's only real compitition right now. Sonar and Project 5 together is nooooooo joke!! Trust me. The fact that these two were made to coinside with one another makes possibilities endless. I have nothing against all you Cubasers, but Cakewalk's got some serious stuff brewing. Happy Beat Making!!! 1

DM Flowetixx said:

So you can't produce hot beats with a sequencer? You guys have been missin' the real ****. As for Cubase without a midi controller, you must be kidding me. It don't matter what the program is, I will still whoop yo a$$ in a beat comp.....

:confused:

Where did that come from?

You go on and waste your time with a beat battle with yourself. Have fun.:) :cheers:

Back