<Attention> Photos of a Vocal Booth im building (Your Advice Needed)

S

SMOOTH POETIKS

Hi every one i have been checking out this message board for a while and reckon there is some dope information on some post's also a little bit of hating but what do expect. Anyways im Smooth Poetiks and im an up and coming Emcee/(learning) Producer from Sydney, Australia....Whats Up my Fellow Heads !

The reason why i need you help is that i am building a vocal/recording booth in my garage out back and need to know if im moving in the right direction....there has been heaps of reasearch put into this project so i am just following my instinct or my jedi force...hahhaah

here is the info :-

Room Size : 264 x 172 (2.6 x 172 metres)

Windows : There is a split beam or stud whatvere you call it cause its need for extra support.....Window 1 : 89 x 110 and Window 2 : 79 x 110

Framing is on the corner wall is hard wood studs and the other small wall and window area is metal studs (note its and a renovation of a old garage..pretty good job ha ?)

There is thick special sound proofing insulation in the walls. its called sound screen i think ?...damn the **** was expensive.

The actual walls are 1.5 cm thick MDF or chipboard panels..what ever you call it.

here's a couple of photos to get an idea:
phto00258ez.jpg

the insulation

phto00284di.jpg

now what i was also worried about was that are the window sections to big ?
there gonna be done with lamnated glass with the inside window on an angel facing down with foam in between the gap

Plus what im gonna be adding to the walls is gyprock or sheet rock on top of the walls with a 1 cm gap inside for sound to be traped(small air space).The Booth will then be finished off with acoustic foam covering the walls and ceiling.

Well i guess thats about it for about now....your knowlegde and advice will be much apricated

Peace

Smooth Poetiks

Last edited by a moderator:
i got no real input to add but that looks great, better than my closet booth, good luck with that man.

Are those windows taking up the entire wall? If so you're going to have a lot of high pitched reflection from the glass. Also you're going to have a lot of low to mid range sound coming into the booth through those huge panes of glass. You could always help it out by getting thick glass, and double paning it with a little air in the middle to trap some sound. But you probably knew all that from all that reseasrch..

-Donovan

nah the windows arent taking up all the wall...the mesurments are specified in my post above.

The winodow section i would say is about half the wall.

here is a better front on photo
phto00357nr.jpg

What you just mentioned about the double planels thick lamented windows with air space is what im gonna do.

what you reckon ?

I think it looks awesome and very pro. Keep updating this thread because I want to see how it turns out.

-Donovan

Looks good so far. Did you build this room off of existing specs or did you just start buying material and then slapped it together?

The reason I ask is that your vocals can wind up sounding "too dead" if your not careful with the foam and stuff.

it should be fine...there will be a lot of testing going on when the walls, doors and windows are finished.

Building this recording booth professionally or trying my best to build it professionally is a big challange, never knew that there was so much involed.

sound is a wonderful thing.

peace

Kangol??

Wot up bro!
U posted this on OzHipHop.com also right?
i thought i was going a little loopy for a sec then..."wasnt this on OHH forums...whats the Fizuck"??

Hows it all coming along?

I will be doing all this myself soon...when i relocate my studio to a better (bigger) location.
Yours is pretty much similar to the setup that ill be doing.

The MDF over the insulation on the walls is the go...First thing i though when doing mine was to use 18mm MDF.
i once did up the back of a mates panel van for sound using think MDF...was overwhelmed by how good it sounded! MDF seems to respond to sound in a good way...which is what we all what.

Also having the small air space between the MDF and gyprock is also something that will definatly help to trap sound, which is your idea for doing so.
How where you thinking of creating the gap? you could maybe "semi-float" the walls?

You thought much about treating the corners of the room??
Bass traps etc...maybe not so much needed in a vocal booth...but if ya ever decide to use it for instruments...might be something worth considering?

Keep us posted bro!
ill see ya round

Man, that is awesome. I am just about to build 2 vocal booths myself. Nothing on this scale though. Does anyone know where to get sound proofing stuff for cheap?

SaltyDawg said:
Man, that is awesome. I am just about to build 2 vocal booths myself. Nothing on this scale though. Does anyone know where to get sound proofing stuff for cheap?

Ebay and shopping.yahoo.com.

Damn man, good lookin out. Ebay has some dirt ass cheap prices on sound proofing stuff. I can't believe I didn't check there. As much stuff as I buy on ebay I can't believe I didn't look there, LOL.

Before venturing into such a project I would have suggested to talk to the guys at http://johnlsayers.com/ first, and put a post into the Studii Building forum on homerecording. These people are pros and help for free.

It sure looks great, though.

cheap foam

try www.thefoamfactory.com its based in mich and they do sell on ebay and ship. In fact the ebay sales are cheaper than going to the factory. I bought a memory foam mattress topper from there good stuff.

Looking good

Im about to buy a house just so I can convert the garage and im very excited but at the same time dreading the building process and the time my studio will have to be down. Im trying to figure out a way to keep the studio up and build at the same time. The booth will be the most consuming time so I probably could do it but then I wont get too much work done on the booth cause ill be too busy making beats for clients maybe ill pay someone to build it and then I can continue work. I know thats very time consuming. Keep it up and I would like to see the finish project homie!

Back