Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <Attention> Photos of a Vocal Booth im building (Your Advice Needed)

Thanks

Exclamation <Attention> Photos of a Vocal Booth im building (Your Advice Needed)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi every one i have been checking out this message board for a while and reckon there is some dope information on some post's also a little bit of hating but what do expect. Anyways im Smooth Poetiks and im an up and coming Emcee/(learning) Producer from Sydney, Australia....Whats Up my Fellow Heads !

The reason why i need you help is that i am building a vocal/recording booth in my garage out back and need to know if im moving in the right direction....there has been heaps of reasearch put into this project so i am just following my instinct or my jedi force...hahhaah

here is the info :-

Room Size : 264 x 172 (2.6 x 172 metres)

Windows : There is a split beam or stud whatvere you call it cause its need for extra support.....Window 1 : 89 x 110 and Window 2 : 79 x 110

Framing is on the corner wall is hard wood studs and the other small wall and window area is metal studs (note its and a renovation of a old garage..pretty good job ha ?)

There is thick special sound proofing insulation in the walls. its called sound screen i think ?...damn the **** was expensive.

The actual walls are 1.5 cm thick MDF or chipboard panels..what ever you call it.

here's a couple of photos to get an idea:

the insulation

now what i was also worried about was that are the window sections to big ?
    there gonna be done with lamnated glass with the inside window on an angel facing down with foam in between the gap

Plus what im gonna be adding to the walls is gyprock or sheet rock on top of the walls with a 1 cm gap inside for sound to be traped(small air space).The Booth will then be finished off with acoustic foam covering the walls and ceiling.

Well i guess thats about it for about now....your knowlegde and advice will be much apricated

Peace

Smooth Poetiks
    Last edited by SMOOTH POETIKS; 01-05-2005 at 07:53 AM.
    I am hip-hop.My everyday life is hip-hop: what i do, what i say theway i dress, the kind of music i listen to, seeing graffiti on the walls all the time...it's like my everyday life. It's in my blood. If you was to cut my veins, a bunch of muisc notes and records would start pouring out, ya know? Its just my life.

-Grand Wizard Theodore

Thanks
    i got no real input to add but that looks great, better than my closet booth, good luck with that man.

Thanks
    Are those windows taking up the entire wall? If so you're going to have a lot of high pitched reflection from the glass. Also you're going to have a lot of low to mid range sound coming into the booth through those huge panes of glass. You could always help it out by getting thick glass, and double paning it with a little air in the middle to trap some sound. But you probably knew all that from all that reseasrch..

-Donovan

Thanks
    nah the windows arent taking up all the wall...the mesurments are specified in my post above.

The winodow section i would say is about half the wall.

here is a better front on photo

What you just mentioned about the double planels thick lamented windows with air space is what im gonna do.

what you reckon ?
    I am hip-hop.My everyday life is hip-hop: what i do, what i say theway i dress, the kind of music i listen to, seeing graffiti on the walls all the time...it's like my everyday life. It's in my blood. If you was to cut my veins, a bunch of muisc notes and records would start pouring out, ya know? Its just my life.

-Grand Wizard Theodore

Thanks
    I think it looks awesome and very pro. Keep updating this thread because I want to see how it turns out.

-Donovan

Thanks
    Word

My next step is a layer of double gyprock

-Grand Wizard Theodore

Thanks
    Looks good so far. Did you build this room off of existing specs or did you just start buying material and then slapped it together?

The reason I ask is that your vocals can wind up sounding "too dead" if your not careful with the foam and stuff.
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

Thanks
    it should be fine...there will be a lot of testing going on when the walls, doors and windows are finished.

Building this recording booth professionally or trying my best to build it professionally is a big challange, never knew that there was so much involed.

sound is a wonderful thing.

peace

-Grand Wizard Theodore

Thanks
    Kangol??

Wot up bro!
    U posted this on OzHipHop.com also right?
    i thought i was going a little loopy for a sec then..."wasnt this on OHH forums...whats the Fizuck"??

Hows it all coming along?

I will be doing all this myself soon...when i relocate my studio to a better (bigger) location.
    Yours is pretty much similar to the setup that ill be doing.

The MDF over the insulation on the walls is the go...First thing i though when doing mine was to use 18mm MDF.
    i once did up the back of a mates panel van for sound using think MDF...was overwhelmed by how good it sounded! MDF seems to respond to sound in a good way...which is what we all what.

Also having the small air space between the MDF and gyprock is also something that will definatly help to trap sound, which is your idea for doing so.
    How where you thinking of creating the gap? you could maybe "semi-float" the walls?

You thought much about treating the corners of the room??
    Bass traps etc...maybe not so much needed in a vocal booth...but if ya ever decide to use it for instruments...might be something worth considering?

Keep us posted bro!
    ill see ya round
    [img]http://fileserv8.soundclick.com/images/u/band/undakrust.jpg[/img]
    [url]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/undakrustmusic.htm[/url]

Our bodies are given life from the midst of nothingness. Existing where there is nothing is the meaning of the phrase, "Form is emptiness." That all things are provided for by nothingness is the meaning of the phrase, "Emptiness is form."' One should not think that these are two separate things.- Yamamoto Tsunetomo - Hagakure

Thanks
    Man, that is awesome. I am just about to build 2 vocal booths myself. Nothing on this scale though. Does anyone know where to get sound proofing stuff for cheap?

Thread Information