Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone not use a computer for their music?

Thanks

Anyone not use a computer for their music?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just curious to see if anyone here excludes their pc (or mac) from their setup.
    Does anyone record on anything besides their PC?

I'm using a PC to both sequence and record, but I only have a stereo consumer grade soundcard (very good, but I need something better.)
    I'm switching to an 8 track recording setup and am not going for the PC route because I don't have the $$. I am either going ADAT or tape. But most likely ADAT because it's cheaper.

But really why I want to know is because I was looking through the gearlist post and every one I saw had a computer in the setup. Not even any all-in-one DAW's like an Akai DS12 or the Korg or Yamaha ones.
    Just wondering if anyone here didn't use their PC.
    ~

Thanks
    I had a Fostex VF160 but I got a couple of friends with ProTools, and I would be bringing the wavs from my VF to their places and started getting into ProTools pretty deep, using the unlimited aux channels, tricky little stuff like reversing my chopped audio on the fly, deep eqing, using all these plug ins, easily etc...I was like why dont I have this...so I gave in and copped a Digi001, there aint no reason to keep a DAW around unless your recording a band using a bunch of mics, just my opinion. I do things now that I couldnt even imagine on the VF...WITH EASE!

Thanks
    Let me say this first: With music today there is a place for all three types of recording. Through my experience with all three the portability of the DAW's is really cool but very limited unless your just looking to do only your stuff and you have a lot of time on your hands. The flip opposite being DAT or ADAT can produce outstanding productions but is VERY costly by the time you set it all up in which case you'll need your computer anyways for splitting, slicing or altering your vocal (or any sound) waves, and for that matter, not even counting the advantages of midi quantizing and other plug and play effects you'll want to add. A computer (which you already have) is the happy medium. Quickly, Tape (analog) can also produce great ambient sound but the reels can add up and it's pretty time consuming also. That being said; I would lean toward an external 80 gig hard drive memory box (for $200 at office depot) to hold your .wav and mp3 files, a decent progam to replace your 8track with vertual programs (cubasic or cakewalk($90) - very user friendly by the way) just to get started then maybe upgrade to sonar 2.2 or take the plunge into digi products down the road. and a good DI BOX for your mics and instrumentation. Anyways - hope this helps shed some light - Computers ultamately = cheaper - good luck

Thanks

yes, me

no PC- Yamaha AW16GCD
    reason is that i spend 8 hours a day working on a PC and when it gets to musikmaking i prefer dedicated hardware, i.e. HW sequencer / sampler, HW synths and HW DAW...

2nd reason is: i simply *love* knobs ´n faders and the hands on factor...
    no brain no pain

Thanks
    hey, so far only one person not using a computer!
    I'm not completely alone.

the pro: I know the advantages of a computer, I've been using mine for music for a few years now. But now I need 8 tracks of recording and I've pretty much made up my mind on the ADAT. For me it's either $700 for an 8 track PC card/breakout box, or $200 for a used ADAT. And I barely have the $$ for the ADAT, so that's where I'm going. For me, I don't mind the hassle of the ADAT. I just need a good 8 track right now, regaurdless of what format it is.

maybe there are other people who prefer the non-PC approach. (or don't care either way and went without a PC anyway)
    ~

Thanks
    i used ADATS for about a year

the tapes cost alot and even tho you can re use them you end up dumping to something like pro tools anyway

i worked with three machines (24 tracks) and 2 of them broke within the same year...this was not in my house it was at a church studio

quality is real good tho

i got a korg d-16 a Qs8, RM1x and a masterlink

i do alot of real time recording and melodies on the yamaha
    but i gave in along time ago to ACID and FL
    my hardware does compliment the software with that live fell tho

using tape just isnt practical unless you gettin a huge kickback from the dealer

just my thoughts
    [url=http://www.soundclick.com/infinitsoundlab/]Beats!by "The Blackheads"[/url]
    [url=http://www.myspace.com/blackheadsmusic][img]http://myspace-034.vo.llnwd.net/00527/43/04/527364034_l.gif[/img][/url]
    www.infinitsoundlab.com
    216 818-0156
    P.O.Box 81731

Thanks
    I have made beats not using a pc mostly at school (Im taking radio broadcasting) in our station we have an older ensonique keyboard that i make beats on sometimes and just record them on cds but most of the time we just **** around and freestyle over those or something stupid like that we really dont use them for much even tho some of those beats are nice for me I prefer to use a pc at some point in my music but i can do it either way

Thanks
    I don't use a pc for any music editing or recording, only for making copies of my cd's. It makes you feel better about your music if you have made it on recording equipment that is not a computer. I have a korg D1600, and after using that for nearly a year I feel there is nothing I don't know about it.

I recently had an argument with someone who was saying, what is the point of a full studio setup and spending loads on it, when you can just use cubase SX? He obviously has no music knowledge. I don't like the way modern music is so relient on pc & macs, I say bring back the 70's.

Adam

Thanks
    Isn't the Korg a computer as well?

Doesn't it use digital,just like a trusty PC does?

If "you don't like the way music is so reliant on PC's" then i suggest that you should feel VERY uneasy about using your Korg!

Or listening to your CD's
    "Mad cat sadie,you sure ain't no lady......why can't you be like the other girls?"

Thanks
    The only thing that I use that ISN'T inside my computer is my front end,Guitar/Amp,a couple of microphones,a controller keyboard/interface and my near-fields.

I wouldn't have it any other way......but i can easily see why some(most?)people don't like it.
    But for me it just plain works
    "Mad cat sadie,you sure ain't no lady......why can't you be like the other girls?"

Thread Information