Anyone know if this is the right cable...?

jiggz

Since my Cdr recorder has packed in i have been trying to record the stereo output of my mixer to my hard disk recorder using a pair of xlr - jack mono cables.
The problem is, the signal level is ridiculously low.
I have tried monitoring this signal on other equipment and it still shows up as very low, so i'm wondering if i'm using an incorrect cable or something.
Anyone know what i might be doing wrong??

Jiggz

Hello,

Did you try turning up the gain on the outputs that are feeding the hard disk recorder?

XLR cables should do the job.

Let me know.

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, the signal that is going to the Hard disk recorder is reading 0db on my mixer, but i can't even get it to read odb on the input of the hard disk recorder, even with the input cranked right up!

I've read somewhere that i should notice a 6db drop in level because i am unbalancing a balanced signal(xlr-monojack) but this is way more!!!

It worked perfectly before when i was using the balanced xlr-xlr cables to feed my cdr recorder but since using the unbalanced xlr-monojack cables the signal level is way low!

I did not make the cables myself, but could it be the cables that are faulty??

Jiggz

Are the cables jack input or jack output, XLR to unbalanced only works in one direction.

Problem solved!

I spoke to someone who suggested that the contacts were connected to the wrong pins in the xlr plug, so with a little soldering and swithing pins 2 and 3 around it all works perfectly!
:victory:

BTW, the cable is a jack output.
Thanks for thr replies.

Jiggz

Problem solved!

I spoke to someone who suggested that the contacts were connected to the wrong pins in the xlr plug, so with a little soldering and swithing pins 2 and 3 around it all works perfectly!
:victory:

BTW, the cable is a jack output.
Thanks for thr replies.

Jiggz

Back