Any SAE Students ??

eternalYouth

was checking this school out and was wondering if anyone here could give me a little insight as to whether or not its worth it/a good school. im going to the open house in may hopefully.

any info would help.

I went there.. got my diploma and really enjoyed it.

However, it's not for everyone. It's pretty intense, especially the full-time course and it's a lot of money to spend. I went because I wanted to know more of the theoretical side to sound engineering.. and to get my hands on a Neve VR !!!

It's quite theory based so be prepared to learn mathematical formulas and **** like that..

If you're just interested in sitting behind a PC with Reason and Cubase then don't bother going, you won't get much out of it. But if you wanna learn theory, microphone techniques and how to use great big recording desks, then I recommend it.

thanks for the reply!

"If you're just interested in sitting behind a PC with Reason and Cubase then don't bother going"

thats exactly what i DONT want. i can get that by sitting at home and twiddling. what im interested in is learning stuff that i cant learn from teaching myself.

just curious.. what kind of job opportunities does it open up, if any? im not really intersted in becoming a big time wheeler and dealer in the business. i want to know as much as possible to help me become a better producer and possibly get a job at a studio. did it elevate your knowledge in the production realm?

you can be the best engineer in the world... or a total novice.. still at the end of the day the music recording business revolves around WHO you know, not WHAT you know. So in terms of getting a job in a studio, it's still just as hard with or without a qualification.

However...

If you put the hours in and are really interested in learning, going to SAE is a good shortcut to understanding the basic skills that REAL producers and engineers have.
Since doing SAE I have been confident enough to do a lot of freelance stuff and take bands into big studios and record/produce them.

"you can be the best engineer in the world... or a total novice.. still at the end of the day the music recording business revolves around WHO you know, not WHAT you know. So in terms of getting a job in a studio, it's still just as hard with or without a qualification."

understood. as far as this goes i look at it like this... its not going to hurt my chances of meeting people if i do attend this school. :)

ive already put in hundreds upon hundreds of hours into learning.. spent thousands of dollars on hardware/software and feel like i know nothing.. maybe im to the point of the old cliche, 'i know enough to know i dont know anything.'

my point is im very interested and could certainly learn a lot from an environment that would be willing to teach me. i see youre from the uk so you obviously didnt go to the one im looking at *nashville, in the states* but i really appriciate all your help as im sure it applies to all of the SAE schools. thanks again!

that's cool. I did goto the London SAE, but I should imagine the Nashville one is similarly equpiied, if not better!

Good luck with it if you do go.

eternalYouth said:
was checking this school out and was wondering if anyone here could give me a little insight as to whether or not its worth it/a good school. im going to the open house in may hopefully.

any info would help.
I know a few guys that went to sae and fullsail, most of them said they wished they would of saved that money they spent on school and bought gear with it instead.

"I know a few guys that went to sae and fullsail, most of them said they wished they would of saved that money they spent on school and bought gear with it instead."

lol well yeah of course theyd say that.. :p who wouldnt?

I graduated from Full Sail and it was probably the best thing i ever did. I learned so much in a short amount of time, howevr i wish it would been longer, you have to cram the knowledge they feed you and so your bound to forget a few things here and there. It did open a lot of opportunity for me and gave me a ton of hands on training on boards like Neve, SSL, Sony, Mackie, Soundcraft, we learned both live engineering and recording engineering, and i also took out a FAT STUDENT loan to purchase my gear!!! and it was all at a discount price for students! Do it, its fun and you learn alot. although i dont know much about SAE, do they offer an Associate degree when you graduate... full sail does. check it out

I live in the ATL. I have looked at SAE in Nashville as well. To me SAE is very theoretical and alot of people don't want what the school has to offer. They just want to make beats. The theory will help you get jobs that you never dreamed of and you may not even be interested in those kind of jobs however its something to think about. Real audio/acoustic engineers are hard to find and the need for them is growing. For example, stadiums, auditoriums, conference rooms, and even the up and comming home entertainment rooms that are becoming the craze of today all require proper acoustic treatment to get the best results. Thus increasing a customers bang for the buck in terms of the audio/video equipment they purchase. Slowly but surely, people are starting to realize that the Circit Citys, Best Buys, Hi Fi Buys, etc... all have one thing in common. They all have rooms that are professionally treated for optimum sound performance. I.E. that Boss system at the store you purchased it from sounded better at the store than it does in your home. That makes the customer very disapointed with their purchase. Nothing is wrong w/ the product, its the room. The theory taught @ SAE will help you in the long run if you think about how to use the knowlege outside the recording studio. You just have to expand you idea of what kind of jobs you can get. I truly believe that people are going to be looking for sound engineers to enhance their "Sony Play Station/DVD" experience in the near future. Think about it, if someone would spend thousands on a home entertainment system, then they'll spend money on treating the room the gear is in. W/O proper treatment the experience is dull and lifeless. Sorry for the long post. Holla!

Back