another ? about firewire interfaces

T

TheStudent

this may seem silly to some, but I need answers..

The outs on an interface unit (such as the M-Audio firewire 410)... what are they for? If I wanted to record multiple tracks from my MPC, I would assume I'd connect the analog outs from the MP to the ins on the interface, and connect the interface to the computer via the firewire port.

So what are the interface's outs for and why are there more outs than ins (the M-Audio one has 8 outs and 2 ins)? Are they for misc. mixers and effects modules?

Thanks.

Yep. Out to external gear. Logic says, for an in, there must be an out, otherwise it's not logical

Yeah... that seemed like a semi-odd configuration to me.

I could see having 8 inputs and two outs myself.

And, in fact, I was shopping for FW interfaces a while back, looked at the 410 (2 in/8 out with S/PDIF i/o for a total of 4/10) and a number of other USB and FW interfaces. I ended up buying a MOTU 828mkII but that's a lot more money. The MOTU's got 10 anlog in and 12 out plus ADAT and SPDIF for another 10 on either side.

Last edited:
I could see having 8 inputs and two outs myself. [/B]

Yeah, that's my whole point; a set up with more inputs would be much more suitable for me.

I checked out that Motu unit you mentioned, but that's a bit more than I care to spend. Now I'm looking at this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FA101

I've seen it for a bit cheaper on samash.com. Anyhow, thanks for letting me know I wasn't the only one feeling confused about those others.

Yeah, offhand that looks like a pretty good solution. A couple less channels than the MOTU and no ADAT optical but that's probably no big deal for most folks. And around $150 less (US). That's nice.

But, yeah, looks pretty good.

Last edited:
Back