analog mixers

D

djvartan

well im looking to but a new analog mixer. seem like everyone now days only sell Mackie and behringer. i dont want any of those. i want 24 inputs with a 8 buss. i used to have an old allen and heath mixer and i didnt like the eq on it. i want a nice warm sounding board with great eq. so what shold i look into/

theres probably a very good reason why most people only sell behringer and mackie ands that is because they are easily the best outwith paying serious serious money.
if you didnt like the allen adn heath eqs (cant blame you) maybe you should scour second hand ads and try to pick up a second hand one from a big studio which may be more pleasing for you.
i cant say i found the soundcraft mixers very nice however buts its all personal preference so theres no rights and wrongs.

neilwight said:
theres probably a very good reason why most people only sell behringer and mackie ands that is because they are easily the best outwith paying serious serious money.
if you didnt like the allen adn heath eqs (cant blame you) maybe you should scour second hand ads and try to pick up a second hand one from a big studio which may be more pleasing for you.
i cant say i found the soundcraft mixers very nice however buts its all personal preference so theres no rights and wrongs.
[/QUOTE

Actually to be honest... the larger Mackie boards cost about as much as better (lesser known company's) boards. Mackie has a huge name and charges for that. I personally have a small Mackie 1402 that I use occassionally (I've gotten used to direct recording into a delta 1010 and using Steinberg's Houston for a mixer.......

You should check out the Allen and Heath Wizard.

Whatever you do... don't buy Behringer though... don't ask me why... just take my advice. Mackie though is not bad.... but look at some other companies first... you can get some nice boards by some smaller companies for descent prices.

i had a small mackie and it was very very clean , so i was pleased about that. not much character tho....

i had to buy a behringer coz i got a 48 channel desk very very cheap, but i agree that they are pretty pants.

the nicest are the big boys like neve or cadac but thats a second mortgage........

if you only need lots of inputs to sub down and dont need the full functions on each channel strip, then i reckon the mackie sr 24 or 32 would do. (small, clean).

however, if you're using it for multitrack recording and need the desk eq/auxes etc. then maybe a s/h DDA or even yamaha make some pretty acceptable desks which come in at good prices .

soundcraft and soundtracs a;so do some good desks at similar domestic prices.
soundtracs recently scored a huge hit with their digital desks, the virtua, DPC II/3/4 (we have 7 of then here, and they are constantly improving .) i would imagine that their analogue desks would have to have undergone similar improvements to
keep the company happy?

if i were buying a desk , i would think that they are a good alternative. if you get a chance to play with one, let me know?

regards

JB

Back