Analog or Digital Mixers

S

shua

I am looking into hardware synths and drum machines. To manage the levels of these pieces of gear outside of my Mac I assume I need a mixer.

I have been looking at the Mackie 1202 as an analog mixer. I was wondering if digital is the way to go instead.

cheers.

I had an analog mackie (1604 VLZ PRO) and I loved it.

BUT... if I would buy a mixer today, I would get a YAMAHA 01V (digital) with the ADAT extension.

if you have this + an ADAT card on your computer, you can mix everything on the yamaha, and capture or send anything you want from your computer in multichannel, and digital, with.. one or two cables!

01Vs can be found cheaper second hand. If you go digital, this is the best of the not too expensive models.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I'd go for a digital one but the good analog are nice too

Thanks...

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to spend less than $500 tho. Any other suggestions?

mmhh then dont get a digital, go for an analog one. A MACKIE if you find one for that price.

analog is good, but dont get one that's too old. Analog mixers tend to "age".

take care

From the little description you've given I would guess your planned setup is something like this: midi sequencer controlling synths. Synths playing through mixer into audio package (probably the same one that's doing the midi - e.g. cubase or cakewalk) and recording onto your hard-disk. If this is the case then spending money on a digital mixer seems a bit pointless because you'll probably record each part to different tracks on you sequencer and then mix them with the (addition of whatever plugins) in the computer. The mixer you need just needs to have enough inputs so that you can run everything together when you're composing in midi. The Mackie will be fine for this, but check out the Behringer stuff as well.

Any questions just holler.

KasioRoks.

just thought i would add that depending on what music you are making analog may be the only way to go.
its worth knowing that you can over drive analog equipment hard without it cracking.it just starts to distort which can add a nice fuzz to your tracks, especially if you are making techno. with digital, it just cracks and falls apart making it definately a no no.
i personally wouldnt touch a digital mixer, oh and kasio is def right about the behrnger stuff, clean but you get a LOT for your money

Let's say you have a few synths, and maybe one or two has extra outputs - you can easily use up 16 channels or more. Now that would mean a lot of recording takes if you want all of them on a separate channel. A compressor and decent EQ on each channel is a must, that's why I for one am getting a Yamaha 03d or preferably Tascam DM-24 dig. mixer as soon as I have the cash. :rolleyes:

Another reason is because reverb in those V/A synths (like my SN2) is pure crap, those dig. mixers have a better one built in.

Analog sucks, face it old timers :D

Toni L.
www.mp3.com/NativeAlien

yeah you should be able to pick one of those up for
less than $500
no problem.

Analog sucks, face it old timers
And check this: digital doesn't sound as good, at least at the very top of the market, if I could (i.e. money, space no object) I'd go analogue with digital stuff for a few tasks.

(Stand back and wait for flame war).

If you're at the bottom, analogue mixers make good sense - cos they are cheap. If you're in the middle digital makes good sense - cos you get more bangs for your buck. But if you're at the very top then it's back to analogue. Yeah it breaks down, yeah it needs to be looked at all the time, but it sounds better. The digital revolution has taken place in order to fuel the lower ends of the recording market - it's improving, but it isn't there yet. I'm not a luddite I use this schitt all the time, I know that digital stuff is great at some things, but I've heard the difference analogue gear can make.

Before you all go ballistic, bear in mind that I'm talking about the very, very top of the market.

:cheers:
KasioRoks.
PS Shua, did I kinda get your set-up right?

finally someone with their eyes and ears open. glad you jumped in on that kasio. people are always giving analog a hard time and saying that those who stick with it are just afraid of technology etc. frankly i get a little fed up continually responding to it.
as you say digital has its place but analog kicks its *** at the moment .... wheteher that will be the case in the future who knows. noone can say. but analog sounds way better. not just in the mixer dept but with instruments too. guess those who disagree just havent used the hardware.

Back