analog or digital mixer ?

hatembr

who can exppose both possible setups using a digital or an analog mixer, and the advantage/disadvantage of each setup.
I can't make decision, i hesitate...

for a studio, if you really want to make your life easier, go with a digital console with motorized faders. no question at all on that. i've heard great things about the yamaha 01V Digital Mixer but i'm not sure if it's faders are motorized. what price range were you looking at?

around 3000$ max, do u think i find somthing good at that price ?
and the yamaha 01v & 02r has no internal HD, the aw4416 does (but too expensive) but the 3 are motrized :)
can a hard dik recorder be an alternative to a digital mixer ?

Last edited:
hmmmm....if you presently have a computer that you work with, it might be cheaper to expand it to include a fast scsi drive....i've used the roland vs systems, and i've always been happy with them, but i don't think it's fader's are motorized....there's also use to be an issue with compression on audio in them....it's all going to depend on what you already have...

man, SCSI is a waste of money and not much better than IDE and a hell of a lot more expensive. Get a Firewire if you have to but IDE's are 8ms access copaird to SCSI being 6ms I'd rather have the space. . . and most stores don't even sell SCSI anymore because it's just not worth it.

zekthedeadcow: all depends on what you are doing....if you are using short audio edits, you can get away with IDE (hell i use a single partitioned IDE drive for all my audio work), but when you start getting up to high track counts (32+) where each track is fairly long (2 to 3 minute takes) and recorded at a high rate (24-bit, 96Khz) you're talking about a LOT of data coming off the drive. another time SCSI is a wise idea is when you are simultaneously recording lots of tracks (IDE just isn't going to handle having 24 channels of audio being written to it simultaneously if each track is coming in at 24-bit, 96Khz....you might be able to get 8-16 channels simultaneously with a soft ware raid using IDE drives, but if one drive dies you loose all data on both)....my philosophy is if you think later on down the road you'll need multi-channel recording the time to think about it is when you have available cash to put towards it....sure they are more expensive drives, but i have yet to see an IDE drive the spins at 15,000rpms...if you've got a link deffinitely point me there because SCSI is a huge hole in the packets :)

hatembr: the reason i asked about a computer is because, it's almost always cheaper to go with a computer DAW for harddrive recording if your machine is capable of it (i use a B&W G3 350 and i regularly see 32 channels of audio...i'm not sure what the wisest minimum spec in on the intel/amd side...someone else would need to post that info)....if you're current pc isn't capable of being used as a DAW, then there are a lot of options.....i've been eyeing used Roland VSR-880s (8 tracks each with 8 virtual tracks) as well as the Akai DR8s and DR16s. it's all a matter of what you want now, while taking into account what you may want 2 to 3 years from now (at least that's how i plan purchases)......

so ask yourself this: what do i want the ability to do in my studio today? if i had 1/10th of the gear on my wish list, does it impact at all on what i want to do today?

hopefully that helps.

well, my wish list is tooo long :) but, what i'd like to get, is something that let me record my bass station & (very soon coming) virus c and any possible plug ins in cubase into a clean track that can later be mastered. I have PII 400mhz with 13Go and a SB64 but will change it very soon. I also have a 8ins Soundcraft mixer, but i am planning to get something else.
My main objective now, is to set up a very small home studio, not top technology, but a nice setup that I won't have to change every year.

Back