Amp + wattage?

B

Badtz

greetings!

I was wondering..........

If my speakers has a RMS output of 100 watts (@ 8 ohms)..........

Is it best if I get a amp/receiver that outputs max @ 110 watts or 90 watts (8 ohms)........???

Is 90 watts sufficient to take advantage of the 100 watt speakers? Or is the 110 watts more efficient?

If I take the 110 route, is there a chance it could damage the speakers in any way?

Are there advantages/disadvantages from using a more powerful/less powerful setup?

Thanks!!!! :-D

-Badtz

I'm not pro at this so correct me if I'm wrong.

I assume you mean the amp would have 90w / 110w per channel (left & right) ?

110w amp may damage your 100w speakers only if you turn the volume up to the maximum. And probably long before that you'll notice some distortion in the sound at maximum levels.

So, I think a 90w amp would be sufficient enough. Playing your speakers at their limits would probably have a bad effect on their frequency response anyway.

Toni
www.mp3.com/NativeAlien

Last edited by a moderator:
THanks Distinctive! :P

Yer help is appreciated!

BTW: I'm trackin' ya moves ova on da tascam bbs also ;-)

Actually

You want as much power as you can afford. The 90 watt amp is more likely to blow your speakers before the 110 watt amp due to distortion. You can run much more power to skeakers than what they are rated at as long as its clean power from a quality amp. I have some cabinets with 15 inch subs rated at 200 watts running off a PeaveyCS800x which is 600watts per channel peak.

I'm not sure Distinctive :P

From all the forums :-0 I lose count where I'm postin' :P

_badtz_

Back