Advice on Treating my Area please!!

Ok so I’m almost 99% sure my area where I record and mix is not ideal. However it’s pretty much the only place in my apartment where I can mix. So I need some helpful advice on what I can do or try to do to get my area acoustically treated! Please see attachments!

I work in my living room. My desk is against the wall. To the right of me is another long walk that goes al the way back to my front door. Then to the right of my is an opening to where the kitchen is what can I do? Am I just better off using headphones for now till I upgrade to a bigger apartment?

Last edited:
It depends on what you're authorized to do, how long you will be in that apartment, and your budget.

Also, there are no attachments, apparently.

Search the threads here; there is already plenty of discussion regarding room treatment. Basically you want to "cut the corners" (fill with something thick/heavy/with decent mass) to prevent bass build-up/corner-loading, and you want lighter panels for any high end reflections of unwanted room tone/reverb.

If possible (it isn't always with non-purpose-built rooms), have your speakers a few feet from the back wall, with your set-up along the short wall rather than the long one.

Do some research at Sound on Sound Magazine: Sound On Sound | The World's Premier Music Recording Technology Magazine

GJ

As stated above, no attachments so don't really know what we're working with here. If you could give us some pics or some sort of blueprint that would be great

I'm a big fan of GIK acoustics though and they give free acoustic advice, so might be worth getting their opinion on things: Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics

Of course they're going to recommend their product, but you can learn from where they recommend placing these things so then you can do it on your own

thumbnail_IMG_1077.jpgthumbnail_image1.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0853.jpgthumbnail_image3.jpgthumbnail_image2.jpg

Hey Guys,

So here is my mixing area (pictures attached) - What can I do to help the accoustics in this area? Or I have the option of moving my desk into my bed room but will be a little more confined in there. This is really the only options I have.

Last edited:
Back