Actual Soundproofing

M

Mystile

Does anyone have any figures on how much it would cost to actually soundproof a room, as in having professionals come in and add over the walls to trap all sound. I dont have the exact size, but its a single car garage.

I dont know if this is the route i will take but i want to analyze all my options and i have no clue where to find out this info.

thanks ahead of time

Last edited by a moderator:
Lazy boy! tut tut. j/k

Ummm, for someone to do it for ya, it may cost up to $6,000. $4,500 for the materials and then at least $1,500 for the work itself.

My sound isolation cost me $3,200 then add up gypsum wallboard and other materials (20 odd rolls of rockwool,screws etc).Also i had a carpenter come in a do studded frames for me, another $500 or so (and thats cause he was a friend). Now i've been doing the work myself but i've spent countless hours working on my lil place (it's only 12 x 15 foot). Come to think of it, the sound isolation cost me more than half of what i set aside for construction which means it was nearly $5,000 or so. I haven't done my finances in a while.

http://www.asc-soundproof.com/ is where i got my stuff.

Hylo,

The ASC site is awesome. Do you have any pics of your set-up? What exactlly did you use for the construction? I'll be using these guys in the very near future. Lata :monkey:

No plez, i don't have any pics at the moment. I'll take a few and upload them at some stage but the ASC crowd gave me loads of stuff. The principal parts for this were these metal things called dRC's. They screw into your joists and frames and then fill the area with rockwool. The dRC's have the plasterboard screwed up to them directly so none of the interior walls connect with the frames or joists allowing the wallboard to vibrate easier. Then i got this sticky black squares and stips and you put them all over the fitst layer of wallboard (well, they're actually seperated every 12") and then you just bang up the other layer of wallboard.
What i used:
20 odd rolls of Rockwool
17 layers of moisture resistant gypsum wallboard
16 layers of the normal crap
10 tubes of acoustic sealant (included)
Lots of wood. And blocks

Back