ACTUAL eggcartons - don't laugh

I

I_watch_stars

My room is a drywall cave with pretty bad flutter; directly across from my monitors is a huge expanse of flat drywall.

Do I need to be thinking of absorbtion or deflection here? If deflection could work, I just happen to have the ability to get tons of free, square (like 10 inch square) EGG-CARTONS. I know that they won't absorb sound much, but are far as deflection goes...would they work at all?

Or am I just being a cheap bastard? I could afford to spend a couple hundred but...I would rather spend it on a synth dammit ;)

dont say "not going to help at all" they will help somewhat, it was even confirmed from my physics teacher, also hang some thick blankets around or something too

Ehh..forget it. I'll just buy some real acoustic diffusers or foam.

I don't need bass traps right now (although I'm sure I could use them), I'm talking about room flutter.

Point God said:
dont say "not going to help at all" they will help somewhat, it was even confirmed from my physics teacher, also hang some thick blankets around or something too
I'm curious as to what your teacher said. How would they help? This should be interesting. The diffusors may help, but I still say that egg crates and foam will do more harm than good.

Last edited:
They actually have a nice soft spike at around 800Hz.

So, if anyone ever designs a room that has a problem at 800Hz (I've yet to see one) then there's your solution.

Until then, they're pretty worthless - And very flammable. VERY flammable.

But no doubt - Trying to fix high-end goofiness (foam treatments) before the low end is under control is really putting the cart before the horse...

Last edited by a moderator:
so what if they are flammable? some O2 cleaners are flammable too wow... its not like your going to wander around with fire

and it absorbs some sound from bouncing around

Your in a room with electrical equipment that can get very hot and is powered on for hours on end, and you want to stick a fire excelerent on your walls. Genius.

noblewordz said:
Your in a room with electrical equipment that can get very hot and is powered on for hours on end, and you want to stick a fire excelerent on your walls. Genius.

whoever would possibly start a fire in a damn room must be retarded but you might be speaking from personal experience

and massive, i've read many posts of yours (they are hard to miss) and you always talk like you know everything, why are you on FUTURE producers? or are you just a wannabe?

Point God said:
whoever would possibly start a fire in a damn room must be retarded but you might be speaking from personal experience

No one would start a fire but the equipment can. We are talking electrics here, you think equipment runs on air?

Its very debatable who the retard is here.

Point God said:

and massive, i've read many posts of yours (they are hard to miss) and you always talk like you know everything, why are you on FUTURE producers? or are you just a wannabe?
WOW!!!! So much anger over egg crates!!!!

Point God said:
If you think I talk like I "know everything" then I'd submit that everything's relative. I rarely cover much more than very basic principals in most of my posts here.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
If you think I talk like I "know everything" then I'd submit that everything's relative. I rarely cover much more than very basic principals in most of my posts here.

hahahahaha... checkmate.

All of you cut it out alright? :)...Even I wasn't taking the idea that seriously. Plus, I ditched the idea already, as I said. I'm not that poor, so I'll just get some damn bass traps and acoustic foam...I just hate to spend that much when I could get another synth :(....

noblewordz said:
No one would start a fire but the equipment can. We are talking electrics here, you think equipment runs on air?

Its very debatable who the retard is here.

are you serious, OBVIOUSLY i didnt mean a person turning pyro and setting a room on fire
:hello:
either way, i have to clear myself up for you to understand, you must be a retard if you allow a room other than the kitchen to be set on fire for ANY reason whatsoever, be it from an iron setting clothes on fire resulting in a fire or having your equipment burn a room down ... and now you will likely respond with "if you have eggcartons in the room it will be burnt down" or something, my response to that is that in the room where you iron you also have things that catch fire (and things that start fires) but you just have to use common sense with placement

and no massive, i remember one topic where someone stated they are on a low budget and need to make a sound booth or something like that and you went into some speech about tearing down walls and this and that ansome more when you just merely needed to throw some advice, any helpul thing covered on 1-5 sentences could have been good, not house remodelling
(and i dont use eggcartons or anything like that either lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
They were asking about soundproofing... I was telling them the absolute minimum of what would be needed to soundproof the space.

Or they were trying to make a "vocal booth" in a closet and wondered why it sounded like crap.

Point God said:
are you serious, OBVIOUSLY i didnt mean a person turning pyro and setting a room on fire
:hello:
either way, i have to clear myself up for you to understand, you must be a retard if you allow a room other than the kitchen to be set on fire for ANY reason whatsoever, be it from an iron setting clothes on fire resulting in a fire or having your equipment burn a room down ... and now you will likely respond with "if you have eggcartons in the room it will be burnt down" or something, my response to that is that in the room where you iron you also have things that catch fire (and things that start fires) but you just have to use common sense with placement

Jesus what is wrong with you? what dont you understand?

Electrical equipment can be faulty, it can very easily set itself alight. If those egg cartons catch fire they will be an accelerant, they can turn a controllable fire in to one that will burn your **** down. Now if you don't understand the basic concept of this, please don't reply.

hey,
i have a small closet that i use for tracking vocals (mostly rap, some singing). i have the walls covered with eggcrates. when i installed them i noticed a very strong reduction (even a removal) of "ring" in the closet (with the eggcrates, it sounds less reverby when i clap), which seemed like a good thing.

i'd be interested in reading more about this because my experience seems to contradict what i've read here. "MASSIVE Mastering"'s post about the subject are making my rethink it. if my tracking space is dulling a certain frequency i'd like to figure it out.

any ideas for a minimal vocal "booth"? should i make a foam semi-circle, keep my closet, make a giant foam helmet with a mic inside and mood lighting, record in my main mixing room (living room), or what?

thanks,
peace,
noahd

The egg crates, etc. that you would put on a wall will get rid of what is called "flutter echo."

If you don't know any better, you think you are there. But you haven't even bought a damn ticket yet.

I would use the analogy of putting a Band-Aid on a broken leg, but that is even too much. It's more like your mother kissing it to make it feel better. Doesn't solve the real problem.

Last edited:
Back