Active monitors for less than 600$

D

djAlien

I'm sorry for my crappy English. I'm from Finland. I have my little home studio and I like making dance, trance kinda music and also recording my rockband.

Allright.. I'm counting on you guys. What could you suggest? They should be quite flat - I'm gonna mix all kinds of music with them.

I've been looking for monitors and found some:
- Alesis One Active MK II
- Event TR6
- M-Audio Studiophile BX8

Can you suggest any better monitors for that price group? Do you know how the mixes tend to turn out for other systems with those monitors?

I'm not looking for the Mackies (I know they are great... I've been listening to them) or such (Genelec, Dynaudio) 'cause I just simply can't afford them. 600$ limit. Goddam... :)

- djAlien, Lassi Eronen, Finland

Monitors are really a matter of preference. I have the Behringer truths (US $400) and am happy with them. Some will tell you that these monitors are crap and the Alesis is better. I on the other hand think the Alesis is crap. Hit up a couple of music stores and take a listen for yourself. Goodluck!

As always, listen to them yourself and decide which ones *you* like - that's what really matters. Monitors might be the most subjective piece of music gear there is, so even if 100 people tell you to get XYZ cause they are great, you might think they suck.

That being said, I would suggest the Alesis, then the M-Audios. I would also think about adding Yorkvilles to the list - my friend has a pair and they are nice too for the $$$.

Like the others say, you'll have to listen and form a preference. Regardless of what pair you decide on, you'll have to learn how their sound transfers to other speakers.

Take some CDs with you to the music store, some that you know well. Take note of how the bass, mids, and highs come across. Most people want the flattest response possible.

I use Alesis, and they work for me.

Back