Acoustic Treatment an ABSOLUTE MUST?

Kritical MeSh

Hey fellow FPers, my query is about Acoustic Treatment, and whether it is an ABSOLUTE necessity. I hope someone can provided a valuable response that will assist aspiring producers on the come up:

So I have recently purchased some Studio Monitors (Alesis Elevate 4) and am slowly expanding my studio, so bare in mind like many aspiring musicians, I am on a tight budget.

1.Most of you are probably aware of the debate between mixing with monitors and/or headphones, so what things should a producer consider when using a pair of monitors, in a completely untreated room?
2. Can a producer effectively use a set of headphones AND monitors in combination in an untreated room, and STILL achieve a reasonable mix quality?

3. When it boils down to it the final sound is subjective, but the science is helpful. On an Indie level, Does it REALLY matter whether I used a set of Bass Traps here, and Diffusers there, or can you still pull off a reasonable mix with a good ear and some common sense mixing techniques?

4. Finally, if I should proceed to install acoustic treatment, what is the bare most essential point I should start from first, and still achieve good results? E.g Should I focus on Bass traps, or Diffusers or even the Reflections?

I hope this was clear and a helpful answer will proceed to assist anyone in a similar position.

Happy Producing and the best of success on your projects

"Absolute" is personal definition-dependent. For optimum results? Yes, it is a necessity.

GJ

Do not let anyone lie to you. I have never once placed a panel on a wall, and all my mixes are dope. I've mixed in million dollar studio's with worse results. Only advice is to learn what music is supposed to sound like in your room. Listen to all your favorite albums in the drivers seat, and you will not have a need acoustic treatment.

Back