Absolute beginner…

P

Pride

Hi, I'm currentley looking to purchase software/hardware for the mac to turn my bedroom into a home studio.

I've looked around and I've been told that basically what i need is:

cubase
halion
controller keyboard
monitors etc

is this a good choice?

now i roughly know what these are and what they do but please slate me if this is a stupid question but if your sampling a sound then how do you sync it to whatever you already have?

cheers.

very good choice yes

add to that a good synthesizer. Native Instrument's PRO-52 is excellent, and if you prefer FM synthesis, the FM-7 s nice

Halion is great, but Native Instrument's new KONTAKT is amazing too.. it has all the latest high-end features you want in a sampler.

gosh i sound like a NI ad today :) no i dont work for them. Their programs are just great.

good luck!

Before splashing out on a load of (admittedly very nice) NI soft-synths, be aware that Cubase comes with some already and there are some freebies out on the net as well. You may well (almost certainly will) want to get something a bit better later on, but give yourself a chance to find out what suits you.

KasioRoks

nice one,

I've already downloaded the demo version of pro-52 and it seems pretty cool and i've messed around abit with cubase, but still haven't made any definate decisions, although cubase at the moment is first choice.

Q if creating a sound using a synth then obviously playing it on the controller keyboard, how do you then record and sync it into cubase?

cheers.

Originally posted by Pride
Q if creating a sound using a synth then obviously playing it on the controller keyboard, how do you then record and sync it into cubase?
Cubase is what's doing the recording, you can't help but be synced to it. Of course your timing might suck, but that's not a problem with sync as such. Also you can use Cubase to play the synth by drawing on what notes you want to come out. Or you can record your midi performance from the controller keyboard and then edit that so it's in time.

KasioRoks

cheers,

I know these sorts of questions are most probably v.dull but its much appreciated.

what kind of set up have you got?

thanks again.

Cubase, tascam US428, E-mu e-5000 ultra (sampler), Juno 106(synth), little bit of out-board, a few soft-synths and a tonne of VST instruments, little behringer mixer. Pro-tools free. Really crappy deck for some samples.

KasioRoks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back