? about sound-hopefully right forum....

K

Karyzma

Got a question about sound output.....I've got a roland xp50 keyboard, roland r70 drum machine, tascam tmd 1000 mixer, fostex pm1 monitors and sony studio monitor headphones.....here's the question...how is it that when everything is plugged into the mixer and combined the sound seems to be watered down and less full - stereo wise and level wise....compared to just plugging into the head phone jack on the respective pieces of gear. When I plug my phones into the keyboard, the full sound and level just blows me away....now before the responses come back, I have checked the levels and the gains on the mixer and also the master outputs of the gear...I'm not a master by any means...yet but I'm growing stronger everyday....I just want the sound to be right, know what I'm saying, perhaps I'm not doing something correctly or maybe its the mixer. Let me know something, I'd like to upgrade the gear soon but until a bag of money drops from the sky, I'll be using this setup. Lemme know.

Thanks

Ummmm....How do you have them routed?
Are you connecting all your gear correctly to the mixer so youre connected in stereo? (2) 1/4 inch cables

I've got all my connections correct. The XP only has l/r stereo outs, no direct outs, so I can only play with pan in the actual board itself. The R-70 has 2 direct outs and l/r stereo outs, so there's a lil' more flex there. I don't monitor JUST with headphones, I use the PM-1's as well, but the sound just isn't as clean and full as I would expect or like it to be. I don't know if the sound from the mixer is not as clean as it could be....I'm just at a loss. The sound directly from the keyboard or the drum machine is clean and full as hell, but when it goes through the mixer out the headphones or the monitors, it just sounds so much more watered down. I'm going to keep checking out the setup to tweak and try to improve the sound, I just sent this out to see if anyone's gone before me and to see what if any points of advice existed....thanks for the replies guys.

M

Back