4,000 to spend on project studio setup

L

LT17

i am an aspiring producer and i produce hip-hop beats but i'm also looking into other styles but anyway. I have about $4,000 to spend on a home setup and I would like the expert opinions of those on this site. I currently use Reason 3, a busted up keyboard, and my dad's PC with desktop speakers...and that's just not gonna work, if you would like to check out my work let me know, you will be surprised. Well, i'm thinking of purchasing the following things.

Studio RTA Creation Studio Desk

Yamaha Motif6 61-Key Workstation

Sennheiser HD-280 Closed Back Headphones

M-Audio BX8 Studiophile Powered Monitors

Digidesign MBox

Compaq Presario v2335us Notebook 1.86GHz 100GB Hard Drive, and 1GB of RAM

I have a question also. Can I import sounds from the Motif into Reason? or a program like Adobe Audition or Cubase??

I'll greatly appreciate any help.

i dont know at the moment, i havent really thought of getting one, i program my drums on reason 3. if u wanna check my work send your e-mail adress and i'll get with u.

i think it'd be better to get a midi keyboard and a motif es rack instead of the whole thing and just use cubase, logic, protools or any other computer sequencer to do the rest because u can get like a triton rack and a motif rack witha midi keyboard for about the price of one full workstation

I agree with loh90, it is better to go with the rack version of a keyboard and use a midi controller..You can blow so much cash on buying equipment b/c it looks cool when in reality you just need to buy whats gonna get the job done. The more experience you get the more you add on......And the most important thing to remember, and I mean the absolute most important thing...LEARN YOUR GEAR INSIDE OUT!!!!!!!

As for the gear you mentioned you're thinking about getting.... I've heard good things about the M-Audio BX8's, you might also wanna check out the Tannoy Reveal and Tapco 8.(Those are in the similar price range) I have the Sennhieser 280HD headphones and they are good but they are sensitive when it comes to bass, they start to pop when the bass gets a little loud. I wouldn't waste a bunch of money on a new desk either, if you got an old card table or something just use that. I wouldn't even drop the whole 4k right now, i'd probably just grab a rack(either Motif ES or Fantom XR, i'd personally go with the Fantom XR), monitors, headphones, computer with decent specs, GOOD AUDIO CARD, and an expansion pack for my rack. You could add more later after you learn the in's and outs thoroghly! PM is you want more detailed information. Good luck with the gear kid!

Hey!! thanks a bunch 4 the replies I just got home from school, well I'll look into these options, and yeah, i am a little steep with a setup that's 4,000$ i'll take the advice about the racks and midi controllers. I have another question. Is it possible to import Triton/Motif/Fantom rack sounds into Reason 3? Cubase? Adobe Auditon? well, let me know if you can, if that's not possible i can save a ton of $ and go with the Sonic Reality Refill Collection Vol. 1-20.

das a good question, ive spent around 5000...i suggest u do this...

get a midi controller cuz ur gonna sequence in software, thus u dont need the sequencer on a workstation...that means...

get racks...all u want is the sounds from them cuz ur sequencing in software, and as far as tweaking ur sounds n all that, u can do it in the supplied software...

if u sample...do it in software...get an mpd or trigger finger if u like, software lets u visualize things better in my opinion...

GET UR OWN COMPUTER...i suggest anything over 2.5ghz, i like 2.8 or higher tho, n upgrade ur ram n get another hard drive to back things up and a usb hub...itll give u more inputs for ur rack n mbox

ull need monitors...get some nice ones, wharfedales or events...

ull need a mixer...this enables u to combine audio from ur pc with audio from ur equipment...

then u need a good set of headphones...

and a mic...

as far as the desk goes, check out a "computer cart" from staples, it has 3 levels... n 2 tiers which u can put ur monitors on...i have one, if u like to see go to the visual section at 617mastermyndz.com

and you should b all set...

if u have more questions my aim sn is khankussionz

ps. i own the motif6, xv5050, fantom xr, mbox, at3060, krk rp5s, delta44 n a rolls rackmount mixer

I got a question for you guys.

I currently work with FL Studio and Im looking into getting a motif rack and a midi controller. Is it possible to sequence motif stuff with fl studio or will I have to use a different sequencer like Auditon or Acid and then send my fl studio tracks and my motif tracks seperately and work on them in Audition or Acid.

u can use fl with a motif rack and a midi controller, hit me up on aim my sn is khankussionz n ill explain to u

Back