2 worst companies...

S

Slava

what do u guys think are the worst two companys in mixers,amps,mics,compressors etc..?

why do so many people say samson and behringer? also how are the behringer compressors that go for around 100 dollars?

Uh, I'll admit to LIKING Behringer. So what? I use Behringer, and appreciate them for putting out the quality level they do at the prices they do. I ain't scared to say it. My B5's sound way better than my old SM57s. But that is just my opinion. Vintager stuff is good to, and the Ultramizer Pro beats a Sonic Maximizer hands down. IMO. The DEQ2496 is a must too. Like the tag says...'Just Listen'.

i have a little Behringer console. not because i wanted it, but because i couldnt afford anything better. Its ok but will crap out over time. I think thats Behringers flaw. That and inconsistent components. (some pots are stiff, others are as loose as a ____ )

I have one of Behringer's UB range of mixers as well as using their Truths as my monitors. The mixer is flexible and totally noise free, the Truths are just awesome.

Yes, like everyone I'd prefer the best quality product...but I'm also very happy with Behringer's price/performance ratio.

Well, when you've been doing this for a few years, you'll realize that more expensive doesn't always translate to higher qualities...then you realize that instead of buying more and more expensive gear, widescreen televisions and the sort become more prority. :) I've sold two Avalon 737's and a 747 in the past year and replaced them with way cheaper stuff (Behringer/plug-ins), still get good quality and have better furniture to sit on in the living room. Yes, from Avalon to Behringer and software...WHAT? My living room looks nice and my wifey is happy!!! Plus, my stuff still sounds good. I am not alone on this one either. Everywhere I turn, producers and engineers are downgrading and downsizing their studio gear and upsizing/upgrading their rides/homes. Finally the less-is-more/get-what-you-need-not-what-you-want mentality is coming into style. I mean, look at Ebay! All kinds of stuff on there these days. All these 'I ain't used this in months and its collecting dust' auctions that are selling high dollar gear at 70% fair market/bluebook value.

Trusty said:
Everywhere I turn, producers and engineers are downgrading and downsizing their studio gear and upsizing/upgrading their rides/homes.
Ah, maybe the world is finally giving up this endless pursuit for material success and focusing instead on creating meaningful art for their community...

*sigh*

Just the opposite, sorta. Sounds like a pratical thing to me though. I mean technology is getting better and cheaper...so why not use it. Plus, I roll my eyes at 'artistic integrity' crap these days. That just sounds gay...Make music, make money, and be happy. Don't cry 'artistic integrity' when someone tells you to change something or that they don't like something...I mean...who cares? Whether it be musicians, gear junkies (not the same thing as musiicians all the time either) or old has-been engineers stil making $40.00 an hour after doing it for 25 years...

"Artistic integrity" is often just an excuse for not being able to communicate your message to a broader range of people, in my opinion, so that's really not what I'm saying here :)

Hakim Bey wrote an essay a few years back on 'Immediatism', the basic gist being that so much of our interactions with other people these days are mediated (forums are a great example of such) and that we're really displaying an amazing lack of creativity in our inability to express ourselves to each other in original ways. It's something I tend to dwell on when I've spent another soulless day at work, y'see.

Slava, my theory on why so many people have negative things to say about Behringer is twofold: either they're familiar with earlier Behringer equipment that wasn't up to their current standards, or the equipment now just doesn't have specific qualities that are important to them. (Just to try and bring my rantings back on topic :))

Yeah, I agree to an extent...and I wasn't talking about you personally. Just in general. Especially those people who'd rather buy a $2500.00 compressor than a $1000.00 or a $500.00 one or a $200.00 plug-in one. Or buy the $2500.00 compressor over say a nice couch/TV or some baby food all in the name of 'Artistic Integrity'. Same with musicians who make crappy music and blame the public at large for bad taste because the majority though that their music sucked.

True enough Behringer sucked in the olden days, but now...it is on point. The reason the gear is cheap is not because of quality, it is because they have two or three warehouses that set up for one thing in production, and then tears down and re-sets for another product in production. And the gov't of their country (Germany) subsidizes the arts and the manufactuers of artistic tools. Uli ain't no slouch when it comes to gear. I'd love to work for a company like that...I hope they break into the production market like they are now doing with the PC/interface market. He also has enough respect for the comman man to not out-price us the little people.

Slava said:
what do u guys think are the worst two companys in mixers,amps,mics,compressors etc..?

why do so many people say samson and behringer? also how are the behringer compressors that go for around 100 dollars?
I think the reason for that is because there at the bottom of the barrel sort of generic. I heard samson is a product made by Sam Ash that's why it is named "SAM SON" I heard this from a sam ash salesman that's why they get good commision when they sell that garbage. so any product you get from samson is going to be garbage compared to a company that is actually trying to make high end gear.

I've used Behringer stuff that served it's purpose well, and other things that were horrible(*cough* mic-pre's *cough*).

me i think maybe korg i hate this f**king triton its so boring and i don`t care about the f**king efx on it! its a boring azz keyboard i have the LE and yes i haved used the studio and it still suck azz
so to me korg is well wait i liked the korg N1 it was better then this lame azz le sucks!!!! i really don`t know any other cause i only use ROLAND lol
and to me there the champ!

True enough Behringer sucked in the olden days, but now...it is on point.
Not true the really old behringer stuff that was made in germany was excellent, then they moved manufacturing to china and their quality fell out the bottom. Thing have been improving and their newer stuff is looking fine.

And I cant stand roland, they went all entry level and cheap on us. The V-synth engine is looking promising tho.

mungo said:

Not true the really old behringer stuff that was made in germany was excellent, then they moved manufacturing to china and their quality fell out the bottom. Thing have been improving and their newer stuff is looking fine.

And I cant stand roland, they went all entry level and cheap on us. The V-synth engine is looking promising tho.

I meant the olden days in the beginning of their tear down, reconfigure days. I wasn't neccessarily referring the the 'in the beginning, Uli created the..." days. ;)

As for entry level and cheap...?!?!? to what Roland's are you refering to? The MC-09, SH-32? Come on, if that is entry level you are more wrong than right. A new TB clone from the people who made TB's and a 32 polyphony synth based on JP8080 engine and sound technology. Or the D2? The cheapest, most innovative controller in existence for working with external sound modules (a nice break from both knobs and the jog wheel/menu's, if like me you have a ton of gear) and a precurser to the V-Synth's time trip pad. Not to mention the worlds cheapest JV sound module w/ sequencer on its own...There is a fine line between entry level, and killer DJ oriented gear. But, even for the producer, which I am (I barely pass as a DJ and will not insult DJ's everywhere by calling myself one), these are deadly 'toys' next to the big boys. Neither the MC-303 or the MC-505 were toys when they first dropped. How many countless DJ's and dance producers bought them and used them in their set-up as the brain? Over five million sold in its run. Not bad as far as synths go.
Entry level toys, umm like every other company drops, DX/SU/AN200, Electribes, etc. Come on...Entry level crap from Roland??? Since when did they go cheap on us? The last ten years? When they've dropped:
Fantom X (XR)
Fantom S(88)
Fantom
MV-8000
Roland XV5080
Roland XV5050
Roland XV3080
XV-88
V-Synth
VariOS
MC-909
YP9000
SP-808 (EX)
SP-808
JP-8080
JP-8000
XP-60
XP-80
JV2080
JV1080
MC-505
Just to name a few. What is entry about all that? Better engine, fuctions, prices, and sounds then any and every onther ROM/Sampler company. This isn't a diss or anything, but I can't figure what would cause you to make that statement. And you should, like every innovative producer should, check the V-Synth. Best synth to drop in the last four or five years. Take care and take no offence...none meant, but dang... :)

I was thinking more to their flood of cheap digital multitracks and mixers. And the JP8000 is a very over rated synth, there are many better value synths out there. The only really ground breaking thing they have come out with recently is the VariOS, lets hope they really develop this properly.

mungo said:
I was thinking more to their flood of cheap digital multitracks and mixers. And the JP8000 is a very over rated synth, there are many better value synths out there. The only really ground breaking thing they have come out with recently is the VariOS, lets hope they really develop this properly.

JP-8000 overrated? Maybe, but maybe not. I think that is an interesting debate, but the JP-8080 is definately not overated. Had the 8080's more complete features been present on the original 8000, then there would be no debate at all. What's wrong with the $2500.00+ VS series multi-trackers? They look and sound good to me. Asfar as synths, Romplers and samplers, they have quietly always been king. At least to me. The VariOS is cool, but the V-Synth is really the beast you want if you are interested in that technology.

^^^^I agree, the V-synth is the most Powerful sampler I own.

I also own the JP-8080, and I still want the JP-8000.

i have a Behringer mic an im getting myself a UB502 5 Input Mixer an it was recomended that beheringer is good quality even thought at low price style rocks :)

Back