$1000 - what to get?

modernstyle

well, here's the question. I produce different type of music, mostly hip hop and r'n'b, d'n'b, triphop.. For production I use my Asus notebook (crystal WDM audiocard), Reason 2.5, Cubase 2, Oxygen MIDI controller and of course my turntables and Sennheiser headphones. I also have a mic by Audiotechnica and a Cort guitar. I use my DVD home theater system as monitors :) I rarely use my guitar/mic because of the poor quality I get when recording. My birthday is coming up next week so I'm currently thinking about getting some new equipment, and what I'm thinking about right now is:

Microkorg and Midiman Firewire.

Advices anyone?

You really produce that many different kinds of music, huh?

Heh heh... Just messing with you. I agree with Kadooka. You can't possibly be getting an accurate representation of your mix through that monitor system. Get yourself a nice quiet power amp and a good pair of flat response studio monitors. That would be my choice anyway. Good luck. And happy birthday...

~T

PS - Hey Kadooka. How'd you get so many posts in just two months? Just curious...

Last edited:
You should definitely get studio monitors instead of using a home stereo configuration to mix with.

You could also get a good mic and mic-pre so you can record your guitar.

Not sure about studio monitors, mainly because I live with my family and I don't think they will be happy about all the loud noise.. I mix using my Sennheiser studio headphones as I have said and so far I'm pretty happy with the result. Haven't released any of my stuff yet but I do perform live. I'm mostly a musician and song composing is my strong point, and I can't say that about engineering or professional mixing

I didn't see anyone say anything about his soundcard. The crystal wdm soundcard is a built in soundcard, and im sure it's not up to par. Heres what i think you should buy with a thousand dollars..

Studio monitors.$500..(it REALLY is alot more important than you think)

A new soundcard..$250.(i see you have a notebook, so you might want to look into some of the notebook soundcards from Echo.)

A new mic for that guitar...$250,
then save up for a nice mic pre.

Those would bring your recordings to life no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back