Work For Hire

abmedina

Hello All,

I'm a songwriter/producer, I work with a session singer who have recorded 2 of my songs. I'm mainly using the song for a short film.
The singer gave up his rights and agreed to be compensated which i did. Even though the song is being used in the film, can i copyright or submit songs to say pandora without having including singers name? I was thinking of just using anonymous as the singers title/name. I know this may sound crazy and way outside the box but any information you can give is helpful.

Rather unethical, but not illegal-- IF you have a release form and/or a contract with the specific phrase "Work for Hire" in the verbiage.

GJ

Who wrote the lyrics? If you wrote the words, came up with the vocal melody, and composed the music, I would say that you are the owner, and the singer is more or less a 'hired freelancer'

Yes, in business/legal parlance, "Work for Hire" means "hired freelancer" and all product belongs to the contract owner (the person who hired the "Work for Hire" subcontractor).

GJ

Last edited:
Back