Top mistakes that amateur rappers make (and tips)

ScorchinBeats

Note: these are not in any particular order, and this does not only pertain to amateurs. Some star rappers can take some hints. And also, this is all just opinion, don't take it as fact.

1. Getting off topic

How many times have I heard some mixtape where a song starts talking about how said rapper is the best ever, then by the end of the track they talkin bout gettin blazed. create an overall theme for your song, and STICK TO IT!

2. Random ****

Ok, so you have your theme. Now, all of your lyrics should complement the theme in some way. Rap must has meaning. I don't care if the 'meaning' is about cars and *******, or about drug abuse - that choice is up to you, but you can't just rap about random azz bull****. Every single line (or at least, most) has to have a meaning. It has to have a reason to be there.

3. Repetition

Of course you can repeat your hooks or bridges or whatever, but try not to repeat too much during your verses.

4. Bad rhymes

Don't rhyme the same word with itself. Try not to make simple rhymes, such as 'like' and 'bike'. A simple rhyme is something where the entire word is the same expect the first one or two letters. However, it's fine to do this sometimes - just don't make sure all your rhymes are like this.

5. Rhyming pattern

Learn about different rhyming patterns. Every next **** knows how to do that AABBCC rhyming scheme. Try out the ABBA scheme for example. That's where the end of line 1 rhymes with the end of line 4, and line 2 rhymes with line 3.

Also, try out some compound rhymes. For a good example of this, listen to Nas. A compound rhyme is where the rhyme on a line is carried out to the next one. Hard to explain, but listen to these lyrics:

Rappers I monkey flip em with the funky rhythm I be kickin
Musician, inflictin composition

See how 'kickin' rhymes with 'musician', then later with 'composition'. Also note his use of an appositive, which is a good way to change up the flow of your lyrics while still maintaining good grammar.

6. Metaphors, similies, personifications, hyperboles, entendres

Amateur rappers either:
a) Don't use these
b) Have really weak ones

If you don't know what they are, look them up. I'm too lazy to explain...

A weak metaphor or similie is usually one where you do not extend is enough. For example, an extended metaphor will compare two things through multiple key words, and will continue the metaphor for at least a few lines.

A good example for these is, surprisingly, Lil Wayne.

7. Grammar

I know this is hip-hop, not poetry. But the closer your lyrics can be to proper English structure, the better.

Then there's the whole thing about flow and delivery, but that's way too much **** to cover.

Hope this at least helps.

Back