Structure and Bars for a pop song?

b52ravens

I'm stuck wondering how to structure a beat for a bunch of pop songs im making a beat for?

How much bars the intro, hook, bridge, etc. be? And would order would they traditionally be in?

Is it really that hard to listen to some songs and figure it out? There's no really specific form, though you want to keep the song under about 4:00 or so.

pop songs vary, but usually intro 4-8 bars verse depends what kind of pop song, prechorus 4-8, chorus 8-12, bridge 4 bars collision/verse again depends on type of pop song then repeat from prechorus and after bridge u can add intrument solo or something, pop songs vary though so i dont know ultimately its up to you but yeah 3ternal is right you gotta stay under in the 4 minute zone, good luck

Form follows function.

Blues AAA
All the sections have the same number of bars

Jazz pop
AABA
Usually a 4 bar intro followed b1y two 16 versus then a 16 bar chorus. and another 16 bar verse.
Prepeat the enter AABA 2 more times.
1 for the solo
1 to retern to the melody with a 2-4 bar cap

Pop
ABCAB
4~8 bar intro
16- bar verse
8~16 bar chorus
8~16 bar bridge.
16- bar verse
8~16 bar chorus

2~4 bar outro.

Or get an estimate on how long you want the song to last (usually just over 3 minutes
Figure out how fast you want the tempo to be
If you are writing in 4/4 @ 120 bpm
120/4 = 30
One minute of a 120 bpm song is 30 measures
multiply by length of song in minutes
3 x 30 = 90 bars
Don't be afraid to go over a few bars but a pop sond should be under 4 miniutes.
Now that you know you'll need 90 bars you can divide them up as you see fit so long as there is some sense of parity to the arrange ment.

Last edited:
Form follows function.

Pop
ABCAB
4~8 bar intro
32 bar verse
16 bar chorus
8~16 bar bridge.
32 bar chorus
16 bar chorus
2~4 bar outro.

I would hate to hear a 32 bar verse in a pop song, dear lord. Must be usin a temp of 300 for that lol.

4-8 bar INTRO
8-12bar VERSE... 8BAR chorus 8bar bridge

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

4-8 bar INTRO
8-12bar VERSE... 8BAR chorus 8bar bridge
my bad and no more than 3 and a half mins the listeners attention span isn't that long so make it cathy memorable and make an exit..haha

Back