Songwriting -- Staying on topiC

K

King of Kings

Hey Fp, okay let's get right into it! As many of us know there are many ways to start a verse and end one, but to consistently be able to "stay on topic" is problem that alot of rapper/ mc's have from beginning to end. I've been writing for awhile now though, we all know the hardest part about writing a verse is starting it. Once you begin, and know your style, it's just a matter of keeping it going.

I've been working on this song, and I've actually got the title and the hook. As many people say that's all that is needed most times for you to come up with at least the first two bars of a rap or lyric. It's called "Breathin" and the hook (sung) goes like this:

Mama say there'd be days like this
but why do these days exist
I just sit in the house
and try figure it out
Where it all went wrong
(Where it all went wrong)
but I guess there wouldn't
be no pleasure
if it wasn't for pain
we'd have nothing to gain
when it comes down to it
maybe that's the reason
I thank God every day I'm breathin'

With that said, I have maybe the first two bars of the first verse but from there I want to be consistent and make it a great song not just a good one (verse-wise)... so I'm trying to improve myself and also wanted receive knowledge on what are some techniques to use to stay on topic? What do you do to stay on topic? Is there any step-by-step things you do? And even when you finish the first verse, how do you stay on topic within the second verse and the third?

*Please don't get off subject in this thread, really trying to learn and gain from here*

(first, please excuse my english as I'm french =p)

Well, I've never did that before, but I just had a good idea for you: you could do a kind of schema. Starting with the word Breathin, just make bubbles around it to write subjects reliated to that. After, just continue and you should have a great idea of what you can write about in all of your verses. (at worst, take one of these topics per verse and write about it).

Me when I write I don't really care about staying on topic, I just write what my first rhyme makes me think to and try to have the best continuity possible and to not change of theme too radically...:)

(first, please excuse my english as I'm french =p)

Well, I've never did that before, but I just had a good idea for you: you could do a kind of schema. Starting with the word Breathin, just make bubbles around it to write subjects reliated to that. After, just continue and you should have a great idea of what you can write about in all of your verses. (at worst, take one of these topics per verse and write about it).

Me when I write I don't really care about staying on topic, I just write what my first rhyme makes me think to and try to have the best continuity possible and to not change of theme too radically...:)

The English word is called 'brainstorming' to define what you described Nexus, but yes, that is a good idea. I've never thought of doing that! I will defo try brainstorming out, I usually just pretty much write my freestyle, touch 2 or 3 lines up for each verse, and use it like that.

Staying on subject really isnt a problem for me. Write what you want to say when you want to say. Thats the most important thing even if it does not rhyme. A songs is like a speech it has to connect and be logical. Go back and convert your thoughts to rhyme later iif it doesnt come to you.

Back