Produce while drunk, high or better off sober

The Burglar

Anyone feel more creative after smoking some herb or having a few drinks? I think sobriety will ultimately win in the long run but I know a lot of musicians who party a lot. What's your take on it?

both are fine. the under the influence music sounds under the influence while the sober music sounds sober lol

Two different styles, but both are fine. I've been fairly sober since my last dui so there's that but I've also made a lot more music while sober lmao productivity really goes up when you have hours of new free time that you used to spend partying.

Last edited:
It comes down to what you know while your sober. You can spend hours making trash while your high but make something great in a few minutes while sober IF you know music. Those inventors in Silicon Valley use LSD to create new designs/ phones etc. but they are already great people while sober that is why they can work better while high.

Ya, they can like work and be productive while high/drunk? When I'm working, I'm working like sober. but when I want to drink, I just get drunk and focus all attention on partying, ...and try to not drive my car into a pool.

Last edited:
I never drink or smoke. Never tried and I won't probably but it's a fact that some "things" can help you to get a lot more creative. As long as it doesnt directly hurt the user or someone near him/her, I don't mind.

breaking the rules is an important part of innovation though and pushing boundaries. Ya, some careers require strict adherence to rules, while others have to be loose and free.

I don't know one really really successful artist that doesn't drink or do drugs, even dating back to old old old times. Artists/musicians are supposed to be entertainers. It's our job to entertain people, and to show them how to have a good time. If we're boring, our crowds and fans will be bored and leave us.

Of course ya when were working on a album in the studio it's better to be sober. We have to focus on and practice the album.
But if we're throwing a party and have a large crowd, we have to be fun and crack open a bottle with them. Note: you should only drink a little bit if you're still performing or about to perform, (you need to be awake enough to perform, and people pay good money to see you!) ...after your show you can go to town with them at the after party.
If you're touring, ya gotta kinda chill out on the after party drinking tho. Night after night after night of heavy drinking will wear you down too much to make it to the next show on tour. ...but yes, drinking/drugs are ...a bigger than usual part of the rockstar/rapper/dj career, but you just gotta keep your work ahead of ya always.

There's a balance.

Last edited:
I personally would prefer to take a couple puffs and get to work like that. I find it helpful as it gets me in the zone and I can really pick up on the feeling that a beat is giving me.

Being intoxicated in any form can always inspire a different wave of the thought but sobriety is better for the final thought in my opinion

I've always found a few drinks not to hurt. Sometimes it loosens me up a bit. I think it depends on the vibe of the song though. And it's a fine line for productivity you walk. You could be feeling loose and creative on a few, but then the more you go the less you get done. There's a quote for writers that says, "Write drunk, edit sober," but I don't think whoever said it was being very literal. I think it means pour all your ideas out loosely and polish them up later. Interpret it how you like.

Myself it depends on what stage of producing I am in. If I am trying to write some lyrics I like to have a drink or 2. I especially like to have a drink when I have to record self vocals. When it comes to Making the base tracks I prefer sobriety to help focus while keeping creativity. My doctor prescribes me adderall and I find that helps in almost all stages of creation, ESPECIALLY MASTERING O.O, though it also tends to make me feel a bit less creative and more methodical. So it really depends on my hourly/daily goals.

Last edited:
Yep

When Im loaded I just need my notes handy and a clear plan of operation or I would get lost in the sauce and probably make some weird ass shit.

In my opinion sober or maye a few beers, cause I dont know how can anyone concentrate to write, and i think its bs, that you need to be high to be more creative, it is all just in your head!

I like to produce with my rapper friends while we all party; seems to always end up with a banger.
But if I sit and smoke alone i'll make some vibes.
Trying to make beats drunk, high, or sober has variable results both positive and negaive,
but don't let it be a crutch for which you can only make music under the influence.

You'll never know until you try both. Just don't forget what you did with your work once you come down :-) I suspect you won't do as well drinking as being slightly stoned (not shitfaced), just enough to make you think differently.

Back