Produce while drunk, high or better off sober

I like to be sober when I begin production and writing, so it makes some sense and isn't a mess. But then if I'm going in and adding things to it, I feel like being a little drunk gives me some spontaneity.

I am the most unproductive motherfucker when im drinking and smoking...
but when im sober...
im addicted to music production like it crack...
i cant get off...
not until that weed hits me...
then i lift off...
the keyboard!

Sober. If you get used to the habit of producing drunk/high/whatever, after some time, chances are you will only be able to write music under the influence and it's not what you want. Yes, I've produced under the influence too and I liked the result, but I try to avoid it.

I think that's a matter of personal opinion. For me, smoking a blunt or two before I make a beat. Or a shot of vodka makes a difference. It allows you to pay attention to the overall sound of the beat.

when i used a lot of ritalin and i mean ALOT i would write so much music it was ridiculous and it wasn't half bad. but now i write sober because i'm a recovering addict. so yeah

In my experience. I feel I’m stronger when I compose and produce sober. As if I’m thinking on the correct path or something. Using all my energy. Then I’ll get a lil buzzed off of urb to hear the music for what it is. Detailed! Lol. If it sounds good to me when I’m kinda high. Then I feel it’s good. And usually I’ll have some more bright ideas when I’m in this state of mind. Lol. Off course! And then honestly. This all depends on if I’m composing or producing. After I composed and arranged all the music and it’s time to produce. I can be a lil buzzed off liquor for this too. Especially if the artist is recording nothing but vocals or additional instruments. I would say it depends on the creator.

Sober wins on the long run.

Sure when you start, you might be high anyway cuz it's natural to open the creative side in us while high. Looking back I wrote some great stuff but like BIGGIE said in an interview that was mostly the weed doing the talking.

I pressed RESET and learned the craft sober by applying myself and allowing to build the skills step by step. There are no shortcuts. So I didn't jump for hours on end like I used to while being high on weed but took breaks and stretched the learning process over months and years :)

as a habitual substance abuser, I do not find any benefit of producing music while intoxicated. I used to think so, heavy. Took a while to realize I was bullshitting myself.

Helps unless you forget

It helps with creativity but I'll forget everything by the time it's over which makes it useless.

Back