I need help with subjects

Tinkman12

I can write rhymes, but my problem is I can't ever figure out what to write about. The only subjects I ever come up with are love and partying, but I want to write about something else for a change. A lot of emcee's can write about growing up on the streets and stuff like that, but I can't. I mean, I didn't grow up rich or anything, I live in a trailer, but it's nothing to write about. Can you guys suggest any subjects that would be good to write about? Thanks in advance.

yo, i have the same problem , when writing a track i sometimes write about myself, for example how i feel about ****. i write alot about hiphop in general, like about the rap game and ****. sometimes i may write deep things, about death or tragedy. Sometimes i write about love or lust. smoking weed. Problems with society. ect.

theres tons of things homie, just look around.

there is little point in writing about things you dont feel strongly about.,if you do then it usually sounds contrived and crap.,just write about what you feel strongly about and if you dont feel strongly about anything.,well you should.,

I vibe with that Tinkman12.Sometimes u just cant seem to write anything but what's circulating in ur mind.Usually what u write about, in almost all cases, is what ur exposed to everyday of ur life, etc.Also, what u write about is an extention of the musical content u listen to or the artists u listen to.Not always so, but many a time its the norm.Just write about what u feel and stay tru to urself.Though with hip hop, and its arm (rhyming),or any musical form, u basically are given the power command and elevate thinking and ruffles some tailfeathers.The more thought-provoking (not necessarily controversial-though that's cool too) ur content is, the more true ears will start listening and thinking about stuff.U dont have to preachy.U just tell it how it is.U dont have to indulge in gun-talk, gangsta-hood tales, or life in ur hood.2 be honest I hardly ever wrote a track about me and my hood.Though I cant seem to get myself to write party rhymes anymore too.That's a good thing for me.More focused now.Anyways, if u want food for a whole album, no kidding, just watch tv ad the news all day.ur album would be a combo of business, major awry politics, social injustices, a little entertainment, technology/science and str8up raw journalism.
Keep it all good.

PEEP some tight rhymes on some South African Hip Hop tip.These sites lead to the mp3's:

The second link contains a site which contains the song by the group Kallitz, set to drop their debut set this year in South Africa.They got madd beats courtesy of part member Doc-B (who is a member of this site incidently, as I just recently found out).By the way, they flow in another language called Afrikaans (kinda like Dutch).Title means "This Thing Rocks Hot"

i live in a trailer,cant get gutter than that rabbit. write about your surroundings what happening to you and your friends something will come up.

yeah living in a trailer park is the basis of a good few eminem songs and an oscar winning film.,if you cant think of anything else to write about that'll do.,or you could start writing about chutney.,your choice

Something useful I've found is looking at good images. Find images you like or that strike you for some reason or another. See a story in that image--there are SO many good images on the Internet so use them as inspiration. The image may be foreign to you so you create your own idea of what is happening. You could look at images of a person who you do not know--go look on good commercial photography sites for the artists portfolios (I like black and white photography, in particular; there's something so...focused about b&w; makes you see into shadows or something) and create a story--a lryic; a mood from the tone of the image--to create your subject.

I'm looking at the lyrics of the early Beatles, right now--for wont of a better place to start (I know there are many; I've only recently started looking at lyrics writing) and I notice how some of the most memorable lyrics are short little descriptions of people--real or imagined. See what I mean? And as it's YOU creating it, it will have a bit of your OWN spin on it; as in, who this person might be. So, in a way, it reflects who YOU are as well as what you see.

In fact, everything we create, is merely pieces of who we are; passed through that filter of what makes us each unique.

H

write about urself... i think kenworth got it right, write about what u feel strongly about

Hmmm.

heatherlovatt said:
Something useful I've found is looking at good images. Find images you like or that strike you for some reason or another. See a story in that image--there are SO many good images on the Internet so use them as inspiration. The image may be foreign to you so you create your own idea of what is happening. You could look at images of a person who you do not know--go look on good commercial photography sites for the artists portfolios (I like black and white photography, in particular; there's something so...focused about b&w; makes you see into shadows or something) and create a story--a lryic; a mood from the tone of the image--to create your subject.

I'm looking at the lyrics of the early Beatles, right now--for wont of a better place to start (I know there are many; I've only recently started looking at lyrics writing) and I notice how some of the most memorable lyrics are short little descriptions of people--real or imagined. See what I mean? And as it's YOU creating it, it will have a bit of your OWN spin on it; as in, who this person might be. So, in a way, it reflects who YOU are as well as what you see.

In fact, everything we create, is merely pieces of who we are; passed through that filter of what makes us each unique.

H

I like how you described your technique, it's thought provoking. Excellent.

Thanks.

Now, forgive my four-year old attention span. (At least that's what it feels like. Do you stop in the middle of the road and notice things?--S*** like that? i'm sure I'm starting to look weird to people who walk by.) My reading brain gets hung up on words (and sometimes images) I see--

what's with that NAME of yours? whutuinfo...that bends my brain-- in two directions. Cool!

Interesting! (I can't explain why. I imagine musicians do weird s*** like this too; picking up on songs and sounds while people into words get hung up on words.) Have you had any similar experiences of being "caught' by a word or image? Something that won't let you got til you do something about it?

Weird.

heatherlovatt said:
Have you had any similar experiences of being "caught' by a word or image? Something that won't let you got til you do something about it?

You know its strange, because from your last post and this one, it freaks me out that I know exactly what you're talking about. For me theres that famous picture of that oriental officer shooting some poor man in the head. That conjures up all kinds of sh*t. Can't explain why, it just affected me and when I write I start thinking of all kinds of concepts and ideas. Not always negative or gory or grim, but ideas like power, evolution, survival, courage, backstabbing, struggle, hope, it's endless. Hope I am making sense. Even stranger is that thing you said about B&W pictures because the one I'm talking about is B&W also.

;)

you obviously DON'T need help

This is a long post. But it's something I'm thinking a lot about these days. So give it a pass, if you ain't interested. Thanks.

I'm doing a lot of ....backtracking, these days. I seem to be looking at mythmaking--let me try and make myself clear.

I got into the writing of some of these guys who are into myth--Neil Gaiman is one of them. For a lot of other reasons--probably also personal, looking for closure, looking for...what the reality of some personal experience _really_ was...

I've come across some major--hard to say--cracks in my reality--it's is SO f***ed up.

For instance--and I'm sure I'm losing you (I'm losing ME *laugh*) so I'll give a recent example...

I was in the library flipping through old Time and Newsweek magazines--from 2001.. (I'm working on some ideas for stories, I guess, and wanted to see what I could see)..

did you KNOW that image of John John saluting? Saluting when JFK died? I remember that. (I think because everyone was so into JFK--I think it's more about that than just me..)

Anyway. Did you KNOW. DO you know...that Jackie coordinated that little pic? Did you KNOW that all those Kennedy photos--those ones we love to pour over and h*** JFK was as close as we'll ever get to that phenom of royality...

JFK's DAD had a bale of photograhers doing all that? He hired professional photographers and they followed them around--creating IMAGES for us to fall rapt with. (I'm sure I'm not making complete sense but it just kinda GALLED me)

My mouth dropped. Can you think of that? All this stuff...that I remember about Kennedy and the family and the supposed...I dunno..MAJESTY of who they were...

was completely staged. F*ck. Can you see what I'm getting at? There are IMAGES we associate with--and I guess i'm doing that a little with the Beatles --and MAN I am so unhappy with what I'm finding--I was just a little kid when all that was going on--I really wasn't that much INTO the Beatles. Too young, I think.

But to consider...the reality...the MYTH...that we were handed. And the reality that now remains for us to ponder. Man. AND the affect it had on us...forever. (I mean, I'm reading articles about people still talking about the Beatles, man. It's been FORTY YEARS man. Let the myth go. Move on.)

I hear you on that gun to the head photo. That tears me up just thinking about it, as we mention it.

Images, man. And myths. We gotta watch the myths we create.

Does any of that make sense? I think it's why I worry a little about certain styles of music; or even writing, really. Someone may be listening. You never know just who. On an extreme negative note (and I realize this is extreme, meaning NOT the norm) look at what they thot about that early story of Stephen King's making some kid, was it? shoot somebody up.

We HAVE to look hard at what we do and say.

I sound preachy. Sorry. Not the plan. Your comment set me to thinking. Thank you.

H

Last edited:
But cha know what's cool?

Doing this kind of digging?--and I wouldn't have found this otherwise; and it put an interesting kind of CLOSURE (for me, anyway) to a major major major part of what we are (I'm being vague here) as a 'people'...

There's this little image; this little movie clip over at the Paul McCartney site--you may have seen it--of him at a concert and the president of Russia sneaking to see him perform (you may not get this; it depends on how old you are.)

But it hit me--just this simple little exchange--completely staged, I know, they had cameras everywhere, they expected Putin to show up--but it did something for me...for me, with all this Russian sh*t and enemy sh*t we've dealt with, for so many years.

and here was this little Russian president, turning and motioning to the kids in the crowd--(they were applauding him)--to be quiet and pay attention to the performer (Paul) up on stage.

Like the mending of an open wound--our two countries; what silliness all this cold war cr*p--too long left open. Two people...just acting like people. A Russian. An American. (Symbolic. Paul is symbolic. I know he's not American--he's, well...the WORLD, really.)

And if, one day, what you or I or anyone else here can do...Paul did this; he did with his music; he and the Beatles--can match someone (like me) feeling like this...

I say being creative is a good thing.

I'm shutting up now, but I just had to say this.

H

Last edited:
i get the same problem sometimes

just look at the world around u.....

best way to come up with real **** to write about is to put your pen down and get out and live. experience things. do stuff. meet people.

get a backpack, put a bottle of water and a snack in there with your notebook and pens and get on the bus and ride around town. get lost in your own city and find your way home. experience is inspiration.

write a journal of your thoughts. just black out on it and write until you stop. everyday. pick yourself apart a little bit. you'll see.

good luck.

MAN!!

heatherlovatt said:
This is a long post. But it's something I'm thinking a lot about these days. So give it a pass, if you ain't interested. Thanks.

I'm doing a lot of ....backtracking, these days. I seem to be looking at mythmaking--let me try and make myself clear.

I got into the writing of some of these guys who are into myth--Neil Gaiman is one of them. For a lot of other reasons--probably also personal, looking for closure, looking for...what the reality of some personal experience _really_ was...

I've come across some major--hard to say--cracks in my reality--it's is SO f***ed up.

For instance--and I'm sure I'm losing you (I'm losing ME *laugh*) so I'll give a recent example...

I was in the library flipping through old Time and Newsweek magazines--from 2001.. (I'm working on some ideas for stories, I guess, and wanted to see what I could see)..

did you KNOW that image of John John saluting? Saluting when JFK died? I remember that. (I think because everyone was so into JFK--I think it's more about that than just me..)

Anyway. Did you KNOW. DO you know...that Jackie coordinated that little pic? Did you KNOW that all those Kennedy photos--those ones we love to pour over and h*** JFK was as close as we'll ever get to that phenom of royality...

JFK's DAD had a bale of photograhers doing all that? He hired professional photographers and they followed them around--creating IMAGES for us to fall rapt with. (I'm sure I'm not making complete sense but it just kinda GALLED me)

My mouth dropped. Can you think of that? All this stuff...that I remember about Kennedy and the family and the supposed...I dunno..MAJESTY of who they were...

was completely staged. F*ck. Can you see what I'm getting at? There are IMAGES we associate with--and I guess i'm doing that a little with the Beatles --and MAN I am so unhappy with what I'm finding--I was just a little kid when all that was going on--I really wasn't that much INTO the Beatles. Too young, I think.

But to consider...the reality...the MYTH...that we were handed. And the reality that now remains for us to ponder. Man. AND the affect it had on us...forever. (I mean, I'm reading articles about people still talking about the Beatles, man. It's been FORTY YEARS man. Let the myth go. Move on.)

I hear you on that gun to the head photo. That tears me up just thinking about it, as we mention it.

Images, man. And myths. We gotta watch the myths we create.

Does any of that make sense? I think it's why I worry a little about certain styles of music; or even writing, really. Someone may be listening. You never know just who. On an extreme negative note (and I realize this is extreme, meaning NOT the norm) look at what they thot about that early story of Stephen King's making some kid, was it? shoot somebody up.

We HAVE to look hard at what we do and say.

I sound preachy. Sorry. Not the plan. Your comment set me to thinking. Thank you.

H

SH*T!:bigeyes: :D ;)

Its almost like you have no hands at all when you wrote all this. It's like you have two little hands comin out of your brain and as you're thinking these thoughts the hands in your brain just start typin like crazy. COOL!!! I got your PM, you're right I shouldn't try to explain or try to know "why" and just let the thoughts paint my canvas, Thanks. Your way of thinking is extremely intuitive, observant, and VERY interesting. You paint pictures not only for you, but for me and whoever else had the privilege to read your posts. NICE!!! Thanks again.

No

Thank YOU.

I get the feeling so much of what artists are about is what they REACT to--not just what they create. (Sorta like a good actor, too, don't cha think? REacting, not acting.) So much of what I've read, just lately, for example, of the bond and trials between Lennon and McCartney (man, could you IMAGINE a collaboration like that? Kill me now. )...I seriously don't think either one could have done what they did (even surviving this whole Beatle phenomenon) without each other. That goes for Ringo and George, too, but on a different level, I think.

I sometimes think that's why we come in twos. Heh.

Man, there's something to be said for collaborating with people, I gotten tell ya. (Tho, Paul went solo. Thank Ch*****. He and John were both violent winds that needed to blow; each in their own direction. Funny, it's so much easier now, for groups to split and get back together. Funny, how things change.)

Been reading some stuff on Dylan today. He was a curious bird too. Sounds like an interesting artist to learn from though, I think.

Tell me more about the people who have influence you, in your lives. Friends, relatives, other musicians--even old girlfriends.

We do the creating...but cha know what?--all we're really doing is RECREATING what we see and sense of the world. (That's why, when you do it right, people around have instant recognition of what you are doing. Feeding back the flow.)

The guy who mentioned the backpack is right. You gotta get out there--come hell, hurt or high water, and experience the world around you. That's where the soulmaking comes from. Ya know what I mean?

Thanks for the feedback. I mean that.

H

Ya know...there is a small clipping from a newspaper on my studio door (ok, its really the spare bedroom...but its where i keep all my music stuff..)
It says

"Ride the Bus"....

I have kept that as my motto for my entire life...when **** get bad for you..get on the bus and ride around a major city for a few hours...you are gonna find people with worse problems...and/or find people that inspire you...

Or you can be like me....be 24, going through your second divorce and living in a forgein country, living in a house full of memories that you and your wife made...only now she lives back in the states and the last words she told you when she walked out the door 6 weeks ago was "Everything is gonna be fine, I'll see you soon, I love you"...

That can lead to a major flood of creativity...I have two 70 minute minidiscs filled up with me spitting **** out over some instrumentals I have...some of its tight...some of its not...but Im going back through and writing down the stuff thats good..

Anyway, have a good night ya'll..

Eric

Sh*t!

LiquidRave99 said:
Or you can be like me....be 24, going through your second divorce and living in a forgein country, living in a house full of memories that you and your wife made...only now she lives back in the states and the last words she told you when she walked out the door 6 weeks ago was "Everything is gonna be fine, I'll see you soon, I love you"...

Damn, thats heavy sh*t. I admire your toughness, that is not an easy situation to deal with. I know from experience(s) and I have also used my situtations and put it towards my music. The World can be a dim place. It seems that music sometimes is your only light. Man, God Bless you Rave. Stay up man and Much success to you. Peace.:cheers:

Back