How should you rap on a 90BPM Beat?

imDCStar

Hey people!

Title may sound funny! but yes this is what i want to ask. i wanna make my first song. chorus is pretty dope. but when it comes to verse! dont know why but i am not satisfy. may be beat comes too late! i like to rap little fast. i cant change beat of BMP because all set and i dont wanna lose the grace of the chorus. now i wanna know how many words should i add for a bar! currently i am using 9-11 words. the problem is i have to stop sometimes in a bar to rap remaining words on beat. should i overcome it using addlibs or delay.

since it is my first attempt for song so wanna know your suggestions. many thanks!

There are a million ways to do it. But if you're counting...you don't count words, you count syllables. There's nothing wrong with stopping or pausing. Do it in a rhythmic way that sounds good. Also, you can try spitting the last few words faster than the rest to make it fit. It depends on what your style is and what type of vibe the beat has. The best advice would be to listen to some other 90BPM songs to hear examples. For something current, all of the DJ Mustard produced stuff is at 90 or very close to 90. Here are some classics:

Nas - Life's A *****
Nas - Hate Me Now
Mos Def - Hip Hop
Talib Kweli - Get By
Busta Rhymes - Get Out

There are a million ways to do it. But if you're counting...you don't count words, you count syllables. There's nothing wrong with stopping or pausing. Do it in a rhythmic way that sounds good. Also, you can try spitting the last few words faster than the rest to make it fit. It depends on what your style is and what type of vibe the beat has. The best advice would be to listen to some other 90BPM songs to hear examples. For something current, all of the DJ Mustard produced stuff is at 90 or very close to 90. Here are some classics:

Nas - Life's A *****
Nas - Hate Me Now
Mos Def - Hip Hop
Talib Kweli - Get By
Busta Rhymes - Get Out

Many thanks!!

To start off i would say to focus on the artists who've rapped over 90 Bpm beats.. There's a bunch of ways to rap, but you just have to find your pocket and if consistent enough... You'll eventually find your own signature style/sound. If that's not enough, go on google search and purchase books such as the art of rhyming or something related to it. Hope this helps!

To start off i would say to focus on the artists who've rapped over 90 Bpm beats.. There's a bunch of ways to rap, but you just have to find your pocket and if consistent enough... You'll eventually find your own signature style/sound. If that's not enough, go on google search and purchase books such as the art of rhyming or something related to it. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I wrote lyrics they are like 8-9 words per bar. But when i rap it sounds they aren't enough to fill the bar. Sounds slow.

You should make ad-libs and pauses in your raps to fill in the gaps between the bar, but not so much during the whole verse. Not something i would always recommend, but in some cases... Yeah!

Back