How do YOU write?

borimayra

Hi guys, this is my first post around here and I think this visit won't be a short one :). My question is, when you write vocal melodies and vocal lines, how do you approach it? To help you digest the question I separated it into subtopics:

1-Do you start with chords or vocal line?
2-How do you go on to write one section and to another one? Do you specifically choose notes? How do you decide which section is verse, chorus etc...?
3-How do you decide which genre you are in? Do you steal elements from your favorite artists etc...?
4-How one would know if a vocal line is killer? What would be the feeling around it?

Again, thank you very much for being such a welcoming community.

I would like to break down this process by two aspects. The substance and the cadence.

SUBSTANCE

When writing lyrics, always think of your end product first. Think about what the song's main focus or idea such as:
Whether it is just a quickie/party record, your goal is to be catchy, clever and fun.
Whether it is to convey a message or just purely expressing yourself, try to surround yourself with the vibe and emotions the song will resonate. Be the lyrics yourself and trust me, the authenticity and raw expression will resonate through your lyrics.
"Keep it real"
Sounds cheesy but when you are jotting down lyrics, it should come straight from your mind/heart, don't try to emulate or just re-do something someone or so and so did. Stay as original as you can and the quality of your lyrics and your creative process will increase by time.
Capture the moment.
As a lyricist, poet or just a writer, you often get ideas randomly at random places and at random times. Be sure to note down those ideas because sometimes they are gems which are long lost due to carelessness. So use your phone or just keep a notepad and note down ideas on the fly as you get them.
CADENCE

Your instrumental matters as much as your lyrics. Because if the music behind your lyrics are trash, no one would even bother to listen what you are trying to say. So be smart with production and the instrumentals.
Ensure your lyrics and instrumental have a relationship of being relevant to each other. Delivering heartbreaking lyrics on an instrumental that sounds like Pharell's "Happy" would be a disaster.
Try to be experimental and creative with your rhythms. When you get to recording or performing, think of yourself as an instrument on the instrumental rather than just some person utilizing it. Blend in with the beat.
Capture the moment. Yes, for cadences too.
Record rhythms or melodies that just pop in your head that come up randomly.
If you are listening music from other genres, cultures or languages, chances are you will be running into rhythms and cadences you have never thought of. Listening to a lot of music helps you being more creative but once again, try to your best to be original.
A general advice, don't be confined to the music when writing lyrics. Exploring other artforms, pop culture, history and every other thing in the world can be basically articulated into lyrics and it just boosts your creativity. So be yourself, get out there, learn, stay inspired and happy writing lyrics! <3

I would like to break down this process by two aspects. The substance and the cadence.

SUBSTANCE

When writing lyrics, always think of your end product first. Think about what the song's main focus or idea such as:
Whether it is just a quickie/party record, your goal is to be catchy, clever and fun.
Whether it is to convey a message or just purely expressing yourself, try to surround yourself with the vibe and emotions the song will resonate. Be the lyrics yourself and trust me, the authenticity and raw expression will resonate through your lyrics.
"Keep it real"
Sounds cheesy but when you are jotting down lyrics, it should come straight from your mind/heart, don't try to emulate or just re-do something someone or so and so did. Stay as original as you can and the quality of your lyrics and your creative process will increase by time.
Capture the moment.
As a lyricist, poet or just a writer, you often get ideas randomly at random places and at random times. Be sure to note down those ideas because sometimes they are gems which are long lost due to carelessness. So use your phone or just keep a notepad and note down ideas on the fly as you get them.
CADENCE

Your instrumental matters as much as your lyrics. Because if the music behind your lyrics are trash, no one would even bother to listen what you are trying to say. So be smart with production and the instrumentals.
Ensure your lyrics and instrumental have a relationship of being relevant to each other. Delivering heartbreaking lyrics on an instrumental that sounds like Pharell's "Happy" would be a disaster.
Try to be experimental and creative with your rhythms. When you get to recording or performing, think of yourself as an instrument on the instrumental rather than just some person utilizing it. Blend in with the beat.
Capture the moment. Yes, for cadences too.
Record rhythms or melodies that just pop in your head that come up randomly.
If you are listening music from other genres, cultures or languages, chances are you will be running into rhythms and cadences you have never thought of. Listening to a lot of music helps you being more creative but once again, try to your best to be original.
A general advice, don't be confined to the music when writing lyrics. Exploring other artforms, pop culture, history and every other thing in the world can be basically articulated into lyrics and it just boosts your creativity. So be yourself, get out there, learn, stay inspired and happy writing lyrics! <3

Dude, thanks for the cool reply. Especially the first part, thinking of the context that the song will be listened to, answers why I got lost while the song moved on. And, I agree, the recording of any instant thing is important. I've been doing that for 2-3 years now and I just made a beat out of a guitar part I recorded in March of 2018. Thank you, again!

For me the workflow has a huge influence. For an instrumental I usual start of with some sort of percussive groove and a simple chord loop in Protools. Things then just get added and the track slowly evolves. For a song I usually have a few words which conjure up a feeling and I then find a melody with some guitar chords.

I usually do as follow :
i have the rough shape of my song -* what it is going to be about - then i choose my scale accordingly - based on the scale i get a chords progression and you should know the rest ! this kind of stuff about the lyrics comes on its own. you cant force it.

What I do is make a beat first, then I fill in the lyrics afterward. It helps me get a feel for what song I am going to write.

Check some rhymes website and use your imagination, the easiest yet most effective way of writing todays at 2020, 2PAC's way was quite simple you can't do that thing today since we're all living differently no matter how G we trully are

Old Illesty Head here

Here is part of one of my poems with a Hip Hop flow to it.
You can catch the cadence here. I find a beat I like and can replay countless times catching its cadence... Substance comes with experience in life that matters to you.... Build up your vocab., Figure out what kind of writer you want to be. Don't be fake, know what you write and write what you know! Practice!

The Definition of Waste of Space
Is what is left of religion
So with haste my recognition is graced
With death or prison
My vision is faced with wisdom
That is misplaced with fiction
Our depiction is disgraced by stress and friction
Still I am blessed with conviction
But I deal with it's trickery
And misery is our history
That is why our happieness is a mystery
Bitterly we walk through lifes liberties