Cheesy and Corny Lyrics...???

Chew_Bear

Is there ever a time or place where you can have corny/chessy lyrics and have it be accepted/ok...???

First time ever trying to write lyrics for a song I am trying to make.

Some of the stuff I am coming up with sounds some what corny/cheesy.

If the main plot/storyline/theme of my song can be labeled as cheesy...than my cheesy lyrics should be ok right...???

context is everything

deadly serious music dark theme etc cheesy lyrics may work to offset the mood or actually ruin the mood - it is how you handle the lyric that makes the difference

bright poppy up beat music cheesy lyrics are probably the perfect fit but see above

chessy equates to cliched or hackneyed or hacked or predictable (without looking at the urban dictionary)

The definition on there was basically what bandcoach said but went into about a page worth of detail which should help you figure out why you're lyrics are cheesy and how to have better control over how you are writing.

Cliché to me fits most pop music as its more on the go, not have to think about it type of music. You need it to be clear and simple in pop. Although I could think of some cheesy lyrics that wouldn't fit into the pop genre...

Is there ever a time or place where you can have corny/chessy lyrics and have it be accepted/ok...???

in a comedic scenario... a joke song... a goofy scene in a movie... etc.

First time ever trying to write lyrics for a song I am trying to make.

The more you work at it, the better you'll get.

Some of the stuff I am coming up with sounds some what corny/cheesy.

If the main plot/storyline/theme of my song can be labeled as cheesy...than my cheesy lyrics should be ok right...???

NO (unless you are going for "cheesy" or your song and delivery sound soooooo cool that nobody notices that the lyrics are cheesy).

You can have a "cheesy" storyline without having cheesy lyrics.

You can have a cheesy storyline about meeting a girl on line for a roller coaster at an amusement park and when you accidentally touched hands your ice cream cones formed the shape of a heart and you fell in love... then you turned into a puppy and she turned into a kitten... and rainbows shot out of your eyes and the rainbows became the greatest roller coaster in the world and you rode that roller coaster to outer space to a new planet called "planet heartbeat" where you landed and lived happily ever after and populated the planet with little puppy kitten hybrid babies with ice cream hearts... (song storyline ©dvyce ;))

But that does not mean you have to write cheesy lyrics.

Cheesy-ness is all in the EXPRESSION.

If you express the story in a cheesy way, it is cheesy and that is not good songwriting.

Many great stories, what broken down to their core, are cheesy...

But good writers express them in a non-cheesy manner.

Back