is a bar 2 lines or 1 ?

P

prolifik1

neva mind im n idiot

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on how long you make your lines

a bar of lyrics is equal to the length of a bar in music, which is usually 4/4 time

if your writin acapella your not gonna judge that time to good, so try to make your lines 11-16 syllables long (depending on the speed of your flow) an youll have 2 lines for a bar

ps. this is just my understanding of it, there is really no definition of a lyrical bar, its a debatable topic, as long as you have a basic understanding your good

a bar is a bar...lol 1 line matters how fast or slow the tempo is...for beginner rappers id just listen to the snares 2 snares usually equals a bar just a lil time before the first and a lil time after the second...if you listen to any beat you should recognize this...boom clap boom ba boom clap...theres a bar right there

yea this is a good question, one line is 1 bar though. but for some reason on rapbattles.com, every cat there swears that 2 lines is 1 bar. they are idiots

Gutty502 said:
yea this is a good question, one line is 1 bar though. but for some reason on rapbattles.com, every cat there swears that 2 lines is 1 bar. they are idiots

actaully depending on the speed of the track and the rapper

2 lines could be one bar

so it depends on the track
and the rapper

T

A bar is really like four measures how far those measures are apart depends on the tempo.

well i think...
if the time is 4/4 that means there are 4 beats to a measure (the top 4 indicates that) and the quarter note is the note value (bottom 4 indicates that) and a measure IS a bar. if it were 3/8 then it'd be 3 eigth notes a bar (but of course no one does that!;-) we're almost always in 4/4

like everyone has been saying, how that plays out for you personally trying to determine, and count your bars, it depends on the tempo. like DrUmLiNe suggested, identify the snare. in pop and hip hop the snare's almost always on the 2nd and 4th beat (4 beats to a bar renember) so all you gotta do it count it out 1-2-3-4 (end of one bar), usually RAPPERS will easily spit two lines in one bar, because rap is fast compared to singers who can spread one word over several bars.......

to save some headache in the studio (vrs 2 long/2 short) you should know that a bar is a fact, not a variable.

what you fit in it is.

Wow... If you don't know about bars you should go back to school... A bar and a measure are one in the same and lines don't EQUAL bars...

There is no "equation". Generally though, 1 line uses 1 bar for 16 bars a verse.

it depends on how you rhyme and your pace. i was taught to count it out "4/4" timing with my fingers when i first started 1,2,3,4-2,2,3,4-3,2,3,4-4,2,3,4 do that while your rhyming and count it out

u should take a music theory class. they teach u all dis stuff.. but if u can rap on beat.. just do like i used to.. write until u got alot and keep spittin till da hook come in.. :D

^thats good advice--dont concern yourself with the definition of a bar--cuz theres no clear one

just spit on beat and after awhile you'll be able to figure it out decently in your head

im not sayin not knowin is good (cuz its not)--you should learn as much as you can about music theory--but dont make it rule your writing

Back