any good books on song writing?

How Not to write a hit song 101 - common mistakes to avoid if you want songwriting success by Brian Oliver

This was a beauty, an easy read, sometimes repetitive but usually reinforcing the right things

How to write songs on guitar by Rikky Rooksby is a great book. Even if you can't play guitar its worth picking it up as it goes into so much depth, you could easily apply the chords to piano or even just building up chords in your DAW and seeing how certain progressions work together

Writing better lyrics by Pat Pattison is good if you want to get into lyrics, I have it and its full of wisdom. However I'm not great at vocals so I haven't got much use out of it myself

If I think of more I'll come back

How Not to write a hit song 101 - common mistakes to avoid if you want songwriting success by Brian Oliver

This was a beauty, an easy read, sometimes repetitive but usually reinforcing the right things

How to write songs on guitar by Rikky Rooksby is a great book. Even if you can't play guitar its worth picking it up as it goes into so much depth, you could easily apply the chords to piano or even just building up chords in your DAW and seeing how certain progressions work together

Writing better lyrics by Pat Pattison is good if you want to get into lyrics, I have it and its full of wisdom. However I'm not great at vocals so I haven't got much use out of it myself

If I think of more I'll come back

Sweet. thats bro ill check them out. do you think these books can be found in a library?

I couldn't say really, depends how good your local library is haha. Writing better lyrics is old and has had plenty of new editions so thats a possibility! I got all of mine off Amazon

I highly recommend How not to write a hit song. It's not technical in any way just a lot of common sense and if you read it while listening to the radio you can actually understand exactly what they're talking about as you go along

Last edited:
It's not really your typical book detailing how to write a song, but a thesaurus can be helpful when it comes to your lyrics and creatively saying things in a different way.

Back