Warped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olie

Read This Or Die

I'm trying a new method of beat making: i'm focusing on harmony and structuring the melody so;
I need feedback on the harmonies and melody.

I designed all the synths myself (subtractor patches in reason 5) for this beat so;
I need feedback on which synths need what changes to fit better or sound better (in your opinion)

This is just a little verse (around 40 seconds).

If you comment on anything else you're wasting mine and your time,
Thank you in advance.

Helpful feedback will be returned

Last edited:
First synth - quite funny for me, not sure what would i change here :D
Second one - i'd put a little reverb and maybe boost some mid frequencies, but its not bad as it is right now

I also love the synth in background and of course kick did an awesome job here. And maybe i'd put some attack on snare, but depends how you feel it
Personally i love drums that just fit, and are not easy to hear (for ex. in some hard dance, kick is the main sample that is meant to be heard, that's what i mean)

Musically, I think it works, but it obviously needs to be fleshed out and tweaked so it sounds more natural. Otherwise not bad!

Thanks for the feed! :)

The synth behind everything is awesome. I am not really feeling the one that is more forefront (the one that shifts up an octave or 2 at :12 mark). I like the kick and snare. I don't know a whole lot about creating synths, but I would change up the one.

*Edited*

- New full version -

More general feedback is helpful at this point but i would also like more specific feedback on the synthesizers and melody.

Helpful feedback will be returned,
Thank you.

Last edited:
I don kno much about melodies and harmonies so I cant really help u there man, but I did like what I heard, it was pretty catchy.

For the synths in the background (providing the harmony?)I would suggest adding reverb or delay, jus sumthin to make it sound bigger n more distant.

I heard ur track like 6 times n thats pretty much what I came up wit. I like the style, im really ****in wit the synths, theyre right up my alley

I updated the song in Post #6

It's complete with chorus and a new instrument. Everything has been mellowed a little to melt together.

Last edited:
in regards to your composition and the harmonies; they're fine - nothing's out of tune. I like the fact there's lots of variation and it's not just 2 loops repeating. I'm not 100% sold on the actual sound of the synths though...they sound a little cheesy but I know you wanted feedback on your composition rather than the timbre of your sounds.

Keep at it man!

in regards to your composition and the harmonies; they're fine - nothing's out of tune. I like the fact there's lots of variation and it's not just 2 loops repeating. I'm not 100% sold on the actual sound of the synths though...they sound a little cheesy but I know you wanted feedback on your composition rather than the timbre of your sounds.

Keep at it man!

I get what you mean about the synths sounding cheesy but i'm not sure exactly how to make them better.

When i looked up the word cheesy it gave the definition of hackneyed, i looked up that and what i got was "(of a phrase or idea) having been overused; unoriginal and trite." So i'm going to try and make the synths more "original" and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited:
The track sounds good to me but I'm going to focus on the negative bits (for me) so it might give you some ideas to try and improve:
- The drums and pretty much the same for the whole track, there is no progression.
- arrangement: I don't feel a progression either here. your melodies are fine but they are just the same, repeated over and over again. I don't feel like there is a "climax" to the track, it feels a bit the same to me past the first couple of minutes (in the sense that there is not progression). Maybe you could have a breakdown in the middle with your melody going crazy or something :P just some ideas :)
- Synth: I agree some sound a bit cheap like the first one at 0:07. I think to me it sounds like an emulation of real instruments but it's not quite there. I guess it would be easier to use some real instruments banks (like Kontakt for instance) but I understand you want to create something from scratch! I like the one that start at 0:54 it sounds lovely though.
I'm not sure if this is an instrumental to be used with vocals though, so maybe some of the points above are irrelevant? It's not really the genre I usually listen to.

Thanks for feed on my track.

The composition itself is just fine: You're in key and the countermelody meshes well with the main melody. My only issue is the actual synth sounds. They don't sound hip-hop to me. Idk what waveforms you're using (sounds squarish/sine?) but I think that it feels a bit cartoonish

Traditionally rap is emphasizes the rhythm (i.e drums/percs) which is why so many leads are basically just 4-bar loops b/c melodious parts are an afterthought. Like someone else said, this really needs so reverb, it sounds too dry.

Don't let the criticism discourage you: You might be onto something with this style you're practicing! Keep at it.

I think the problem with my synths is i couldn't decide whether to make them "electronic" or "real" sounding so i just went in the middle and it sounded fake and crappy. So far some pretty good feedback, it's all helping me mould this. I don't get everyone asking for reverb though, literally every track has reverb, one even has two reverbs layered on top of each other... I'm obviously doing something wrong with the settings, will experiment and get back. I've decided to go for a more electronic vibe to the track. Will update soon.

I feel like your drums sit too low in the mix. (My opinion) also i didnt really like the flow of the track, i feel like it didnt come together, i did however like the synth choice. keep workin fam thanks for the feed, i know im late as hell

nice melodies here! not a big fan of the brassy sound but thats my personal opinion, keep this up mate! good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back