New Song: The Underachievers - Mania

EDIT: I'd like some feedback on the "vocal" specifically. Feel like it's quite bad, but I can't judge precisely how bad it is because I sang it myself.

Last edited:
Pretty cool song! Honestly I think with some extra production this song could shine like you probably envision it sounding. The vocals are suitable for this type of music. I may be wrong about this, but it sounds like this mix is in mono or something - maybe you have everything panned to the center? For guitars I usually dual track and pan one hard left and the other hard right. In general the guitars could probably have some of the harshness EQ'd out, compressed a bit and reduced in volume - there are some spots where they are just right and others too loud.

For bass I pan it center, but I compress the daylight out of it, boost the 150-250 range, and then boost the high shelf a ton. I'm in a more metal type genre when I do this, so it may not apply to you. However its pretty common to want to have every bass note be very uniform in volume and have a crisp attack.

The vocals could be louder. Maybe i'm just obsessed with compression, but I compress my vocals to the point where every little vocal sound is almost the same volume. It may not work for your genre, but most genre's have succumb to the loudness wars where people expect everything super flat - then it comes down to the tonality and volume of parts to be the song dynamic. It would be cool if you did something to vary the sound of the vocals from section to section. Maybe some reverb in the verses and then mix in some distortion on the chorus vocals to add some edge.

Of course I may be wrong about all of this, its hard to know without seeing what you've already done to the mix and being able to try stuff live. But these are my first impressions. Overall its a cool song and pretty solid mix, I just wouldn't call it a 'production level' mix for something you'd release on iTunes or whatever.

Hey, thanks for writing such an extensive piece of feedback I appreciate it alot. It isn't in mono but yeah practically everything is panned dead center (my previous headphones gave me such a bad stereo field that I really couldn't judge it too well). This is a mix that I did a little later still on the crappy headphones and I did incorporate some of what you said myself (there were some other people that had really comments like you as well): The Underachievers - Mania [Final Mix] by The Underachievers | Free Listening on SoundCloud
I guess I will just leave it trashy because that is how I like it personally, I don't dig the whole loudness and might I add clarity (everything is the same loudness everywhere) wars. Maybe that means I'm not competitive or anything, but the whole idea behind this project was to not care about any of that stuff :)

Thanks again,

Last edited:
No problem. I kind of do the same thing with my music, I don't tend to care for much feedback because I mix/master it for how I want it to sound. I only want feedback when I feel like i'm not happy with the sound. Most of my working music genre's aren't very natural - metal, electronic, pop, so making stuff sound natural or raw isn't ever really a consideration.

This type of sound is much more applicable for the type of music you're writing, so if you like it or have fans that like, thats all that matters!

Back