Soulful beat

Hi, I think you've done cool intro in the beginning - but later it lacks power to me - there is no feeling like in dubstep when the drops comes in and hits you, so I would work on the dynamics part here, for example by decreasing the last bar/4bars of the intro so that the volume difference between end of the intro and start of verse is bigger.

You chose really dope samples (I also like the soul samples and am often digging on FunkMySoul.gr for new soul gems), drums also are arranged interestingly (it's not one same pattern all over again), but both parts (drums and samples) are somewhat clashing and are and are not separated. Here it probably needs more EQ treatment, but to be honest I'm not expert here, just wanted to let you know what my thoughts are.

If you'd like please let me know what you think about my tracks (see signature for that) as well as I would appreciate if you'd take part in my experiment described below:

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...ecommendation-experiment-553487/#post50115715

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Yes I have hade more comments on the intro similar to yours, so as you say a volume decrease or a quick break would probably be nice.

I have also learned a lot more about mixing since I did that track and maybe I will go back and try some side chain compression to separate drums and sample.

I will check your tracks and experiment. Do you have any thread up for the tracks or is it better to comment on Soundcloud (kind of new so don't really know what's best practice)?

I love the sample bro, but here the main issue are the drums they are not much noticable and the drop doesn't feel right. You don't need any side chain compression to make the drums stand out, just good levels and sound selection. Cut the lows of the sample so the bass and kick can fill the space, try to achive the kick to peak at -6db so that will be the loudest intrument after that level everything around that but again when you level everything to peak at -6db you have headroom after that just add limiter to make it lounder its that simple :)

Let me know what you think:
[NEW] Rick Ross x Chris Brown Type Beat - The One (Feedback 4 Feedback)

Sweet thanks for the feedback and for the improvement suggestions! I will have to go back and work a bit more on this beat. :)

Just another question for you The Thrillz. Sorry if this is a dumb question but by drop do you mean before first verse or before refrain/chorus? I feel both of those are a bit lacking.

Just another question for you The Thrillz. Sorry if this is a dumb question but by drop do you mean before first verse or before refrain/chorus? I feel both of those are a bit lacking.
Drop is basicaly the verse, when drums starts to hit all that

Yeah, I definitely agree about the mix on this. Everything sounds flat and on top of one another and just generally not balanced as far as highs and lows and all that.
A lot of this is practice and comparing your work to others, as well as reading up on what is typically supposed to be EQ'ed in which range and all that. I think the intro was not a bad idea but I would have tweaked it a bit as well. I think the low pass filter should be adjusted just a tad to get a little bit more of the highs in there at the beginning, and then as it's moving out of the low pass filter, I would do that just a little bit more gradually so that it isn't so abrupt..
I would also pan the drums slightly, and EQ the main sample to cut some of the high end out of that and maybe give the snare a little more thump by kicking it up slightly on the mid to low end? I don't know man and I'm not an expert by any means. This is just what I've found to work and what I would do.
I think the sample selection is however nice though and the idea was a good one. For the most part, what's lacking is the technical stuff which in my opinion is a good thing. That part is easier to learn if you put in the time and effort. Keep it up.
If you'd like to check out my latest work and tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it.

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...p-dirty-south-etc/baraka-553552/#post50115834

Track is nice, just need to work on your mixing and it'll make a huge difference. Personally, I want to hear that percussion(congas?) part more clearly. Gives me early Kanye West vibes ala Through The Wire, which I freaking love. Keep it up bro. I think everyone basically said the same thing that only the mix needs work. The rest is solid. Check out my latest when you get a minute. Peace fam.

Haha yes! Funny thing is I think I put the congas/bongos in directly inspired by Through the Wire and Song Cry (Jay Z). Think I tried to copy Just Blazes bongos from Song Cry. Turned them down a little since I were not entirely satisfied with the result. :)

This a great sampled beat man, great choice in sample. I feel like the overall mix could be a little cleaner. Maybe pan your drums to the sides, except for kick, snare & bass, and see if it helps. Also boost up the lows a little and them bring up to match up with the highs/bright sounds. Hope this helps.

Hi Oldgast, cool song, I agree, the sample is great!

I don’t have any feedback to add to what has been said already, but I’m very much interested in your experience in the last year. I’m getting started and having trouble going from learning some techniques and coming up with loop ideas, to a fully arranged track (I try it out but always comes up boring or non-sensical).
I’m really curious if you followed some courses, a schedule, how much you practice daily, etc. Anything! :)

P.s. I was going to send as a PM, but then I thought your answer could turn up useful to more people.

Have a great time producing! ?

Hi KosmiCKhaoz,
and thank you for the feedback! :)

How people make music it is an interesting subject and it would probably be interesting to hear from many users in this forum. Personally I try to sit for some time everyday. I work a regular job and do beatmaking in my spare time. Some days I feel like I have a lot of inspiration while other days it is harder. Personally I often don't spend too much time on a single beat but rather try to make many. The vast majority of them are very bad but some come out kind of nice. This was one of the nicer ones although it obviously need some work.

The thing that has worked best for me is to listen to a lot of beats and try to understand different producers and their sound. Try to mimic and learn techniques from the masters. Then for every beat you make you will learn something and a bad beat is still a learning experience. But just make simple beats in the beginning and then you can try some easier arrangements. I'm myself really bad at arrangements and variation in my beats. However there are a lot of great classic beats which are very repetitive too. Sorry this was a very messy answer but I hope it was of some worth.

A last tip is to watch Rhythm Roulette on youtube where a producer gets to pick three records and sample from them to come up with a beat. I find it really interesting and inspiring to watch. One of my favourite episodes is the one with 9th Wonder: YouTube
If you as me are interested in sampling that show is great inspiration.

Good luck!

That’s pretty great answer! Thanks! I find myself in a similar situation (full-time job and kids in my case), but I have also managed to work at it pretty much everyday with few exceptions. Sometimes I don’t achieve much, other days I get little motivating breakthroughs.

I like your advice on learning from others, I’m trying doing more transcription of songs and over time I’m also trying to get it to sound similar, and learn techniques.

I did not know about Rhythm Roulette, let me have a look...

Thanks! And sorry for interrupting the feedback thread :rolleyes:

Back